Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peugeot Competition 400

Options
  • 16-04-2023 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Can anybody give me some info on this bike in the picture? Was it a good bike at the time and if it has much value?

it was belong to an elderly relative. Ring of Kerry sticker from 2009 so I’m guessing it’s from 2009 or earlier. Seems to be in very good condition for an older bike.

Thanks.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Pretty basic and not that collectible or sought after .May have had one or twO upgrades .Quick sale price 50-120

Probably worth €89-189 range depending on the ‘luck of the draw’

If you didn’t mind waiting a year you MIGHT get someone would give you 199 for it but personally I wouldn’t want more than 80-100 euro in it if hoping to get my money back in a month or two and being ruthless I’m not sure I’d want to give you 50 for it if standing beside me right now

It’s not inconceivable that the brake levers which may be Shimano upgrades(RSX which is like 105?) are worth more than the rest put together .What are the ‘grey rims ‘ , might be ok too ? And some people try source French parts for old early 80s builds .

This is like very late 80s to mid 90s I reckon

On closer inspection it has no mudguard eyelets so its not THAT close to bottom of range and the pedals are worth a bit too ( 20 ish not 50 ish )

It’s got Columbus Thron tubing and aShimano RSX groupset so prob worth a bit more than I first thought but not much .A place in Newry has one advertised for 200 Sterling in 2014 but I’d say that’s would still be pushing the boat out a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

Thanks for that. Most of it double dutch to me though. I remember him saying he paid over 500 pounds for it at the time. It may have even done a few miles behind the legendary Mick Murphy as he lives/lived local to him. I saw his old house last week and it’s a pity that there isn’t some kind of memorial to him there yet. Anyway I’m getting side tracked. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

moved to the main forum, it's more general query than an ad.

possibly 8valve will see this, and might be able to tell you more; but a photo of the drive side will show if the original groupset has survived - which would be nice, but wouldn't make a massive difference to its value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks like a competition 400. Lovely bike but considering the wear I think I see on the chainset (pic isn't great quality), you are looking at between €100 if it needs any work at all (less if there are any issues with the wheels (loose spokes), seatpost (stuck), grinding stem etc.) or €300 if in VGC and if you find someone who is interested and the right size.

If you are just looking to sell, I'd ask for €250 on adverts and see how you get on but I wouldn't hold out hope for any more.

Can you post pics of the other side and more up close

LOL, missed the fact you had it ID'd in the title, silly me

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

Thanks again.

Some more pics below. Again I don’t really know what I’m taking pictures of.

TBF, it all looks in OK nick, no obvious issues. A decent clean on the chainset would have it almost in VGC. Only for I have been ordered to clear out my shed, I'd take it. If this was pandemic times you'd get 500+ but with things slowly returning to normal, you are dependent on someone having a goo for that model which is niche enough.

Its almost 30 years old, the parts look pretty much original and in good nick bar the need for a clean. Pre pandemic you might have picked this up for 100euro plus shipping from the UK, with inflation and those wheels getting spongy spokes over time, I think my wide ranging guess of 100 to 300 is still fair but closer to the higher end.

Advertisement