Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renfield

• 16-04-2023 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,298 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised not to see a thread on this one.

I see it is getting some sniffy reviews, but I saw it at the weekend anyway really enjoyable. Nic Cage on fine form and some decent laughs. Also not overly long. 7/10

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw and enjoyed this last night. It's a daft film, and knows it is shallow enough to not try and examine its central "vampire familiars as victims of abusive relationships", but it also has a lot of fun with the intentionally gory and OTT action - there are a few moments which come close to the level of the Raimi Evil Dead gory humour, although as far as I could tell it was mostly digital rather than practical effects work. On top of which you get Cage chewing all the scenery but also being terrifying when he wants to be, which is a delight to watch.

Extra points for being a film in 2023 that knows how to get the job done in 90 minutes.

It's not going to change your life, but if you want an entertaining comedy with horror elements, you could do a lot worse than give this a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd no idea this is out. It's infuriating as my local cinema advertised it quite a bit recently without actually showing it. I'm quite looking forward to seeing it at some point I have to say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement