Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import slurry

Options
  • 17-04-2023 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Is the process to be completed on the agfood site for importing slurry a straightforward one?

I’m a sheep and tillage farmer with soil test results completed in the last couple of years for all fields. It would just be on the silage fields that I was considering spreading the slurry.

What would a dairy farmer/piggery charge for the slurry or is it there a chance they would be happy for someone to draw it out for nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You have posted in the wrong forum.

Contact a mod and they will move it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Jimbo789

Sorry should be in farming and forestry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

moved to farming & forestry

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

No idea on price per 1000 gallon.

High price fertiliser last year has taught livestock farmers the value of their slurry.

I would be slow to give any away as it has such value.

As regulations tighten, buying in p&k will be difficult, further increasing the value of slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manno

I got some recently. It was no cheaper than bag fertiliser I'd say by the time it was spread but I had to pay to have it hauled. If you were near a piggery and could draw it yourself then you would be on a winner.

The process on agfood is easy once you do it once. You should log in there first and check your P & K statements for the last few years to see how much you can comfortably import. The value of cattle slurry is 2.4 Kg of N and 0.5 Kg of P per 220 Gallons of slurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Beef farmer here selliing slurry at €70/1000 gallons

Pig farmer giving it away

Both have to be hauled and spread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If I’m correct Beef slurry can be spread by splash plate while pig slurry can’t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Depends on where its come from and where it's being spread.

In most instances it will need to be spread with LESS.

All pig slurry has to be LESS since the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Except for tillage ground which can still be applied with a splash plate but has to be incorporated into the soil within 24 hours of spreading.

• Advertisement

Didn't know that. Thanks.

Is the emissions and ammonia loss mainly from the action of spreading more so that leaving it on the ground. Why is it Ok to splash on tillage and not grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve no idea what the theory is behind it to be honest.

In my mind it doesn’t make sense. I’d have assumed the action of “splashing” the slurry onto the ground would be releasing the emissions into the air immediately.

There’s better educated on the subject than me on here that may be able to shed light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Lobbying from quarters. Tillage in Ireland remains the most resistant to change of the agri sectors due to the successful lobbying by "representatives" and the open ear of all things plant based that this government and depts have. It's not one Greta would approve of but it's the devil to support the industry.

I see a tv host on a green program who promotes growing your own veg was "put in his place" by a tillage representative for the brazeness of criticizing glyphosate use in Ireland. He did nothing wrong and there's farmers growing food without it's use. But the message was clear if you want us to work with you again. Don't criticize Glyphosate. This is how Ireland is working, especially so under this government. With so called open doors.

Advertisement