Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topsoil for lawn wicklow - small amount

Options
  • 18-04-2023 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Any recommendations in wicklow for somewhere I can buy a small amount of topsoil i can put in the car consisting of something like  65% screened topsoil, 30% organic compost/soil conditioner and 5% grit.

I've been fairly confused about topsoil to be honest. I assume the stuff in bags from woodies is more for potting etc.?

I'm in the process of rotovating a small lawn and need a small amount of topsoil to top it up. I've seen companies who deliver but by the tonne, which is far too much

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Is there any building site nearby? If you talk to someone there nicely they might give you a few buckets of it.

Or get on to the company who deliver and ask them could you call to them to collect a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP if you can get proper John Innes compost that might do you. Not the stuff with added John Innes thats just organic matter and a bit of soil.

Real John Innes compost is 7 parts soil + 3 peat + 2 sand, use JI No1 as it has the least nutrients.

Although you may find the odd garden center that does actually have small bags of sterilised soil.

A quick google found this at Woodies which should be ideal? - Its unlikely to be 100% topsoil but should be mostly topsoil.

Rereading your post either should be ideal and the JI composts have the sand/grit you require just in slightly higher amounts.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

no shortage and that is a great idea. I will scout around at lunch and see

Ah that's great. Looks like this would do the job for me. I have a voucher for the garden shop actually. Thank you

Rather than start a new thread

OP here...

I've deduced I've clay heavy soil.. when there was grass on the lawn I noticed the earth was very moist all of the time. I suspect poor drainage.. and the grass was crap so I hence the re-do. I can make a clay ball and it doesn't break up easily.

My question is, should I order a ton of topsoil to improve the composition of the soil? It seems to be mostly clay and stone at the moment..although there was a nice lawn here many years ago if google street view is anything to go by.. it was neglected over the years..

I have bought some compost but should I try and mix up the clay heavy soil first?

• Advertisement
Advertisement