Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laes info

• 19-04-2023 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have been referred to this new scheme. Does anyone have any info about what it is. I was with Turas nua for a year so is it similar to that as in you go in every two weeks for a meeting. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I understood local area employment schemes had ceased and certainly many contracts were not renewed, is it a CE scheme 🤔

The new job activation scheme is called Pathways to work perhaps that's what you've been referred to 🤔

If so much the same but a little more relentless with regular updates on efforts from participants in regards to searching for employment, further education etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 walker92

Hi. I'm just curious as to how your getting on in this scheme as I have my first appointment next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Gympodie

Hi walker92

I, too, have my first appointment next week. What were/are your thoughts about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

It's the same as JobPath with a few extra hoops. They even use a variant of Seetec software with the exact same errors in specific job titles when categorising your employment interests. Though at least the staff so far appear a little more professional and perhaps some empathy.

Actually LAES staff are not overly enamored themselves how they were shafted financially and contractually to garner this contract from the DSP.

The emphasis as ever is to get you to take any job no matter the conditions, low pay, personal circumstances, health, lack of potential employer interest etc. Many people with these and other issues have been sent numerous times over the years through this one size fits all vast waste of exchequer funding. Hundreds of millions of Euro to date as evidenced. All in order to massage the unemployment figures and make the current government look good.

There is no actual real help in finding employment offered in this service. You'll most likely be treated like an imbecile with various hoops and requirements to add pressure to sign off. It's just another expensive nuisance copied from the UK to attempt to bully the 'underclass'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Advertisement

In your own posts SouthWesterly you've complained about an Apprentice possibly getting paid for work undertaken with their mentor related to your property. Who wants to work for nothing. Also for advice to guide an Insurance Claim while accepting no responsibility and taking issue to that private entity challenging the presented evidence.

You're good. With your attitude you could run the DSP. In doing so save the hundreds of millions of Exchequer Euro wasted. All being syphoned by private entities enjoying our taxes for 'Activation Schemes' with very poor outcome results. There's a post below from the Irish Times published after my original comment. Basically backing up my assertions about this scam.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/09/23/half-a-billion-a-year-spent-on-job-creation-schemes-with-limited-evidence-for-effectiveness/

Post edited by WIZWEB on

I've no idea what any of my posts have to do with this thread but this is boards so lots of things don't make sense

As for my post above. Payment of jobseekers is based on the person looking for work. If the person isn't looking for work then they have no entitlement to a jobseekers payment. The clue is in the name

These services are there to assist the jobseeker finding work.

If you don't want to be subject to any of the requirements of receiving a state payment, the solution is simple. Sign off. For most of us this means finding work.

We're one of the few countries which pays people for sitting on their backsides without a time limit. In my wife's country, it's 6 months and your given a job like it or not as payments stop.

All relevant though. Your Gaslighting aside it exposes your worldview.

Your Final Solution isn't suitable to everyone. There are many on these Jobseeker welfare payments with various physical and mental health illnesses. Applications, long waiting lists and entitlement to Disability, Illness Benefits etc inflicts more trauma with endless hoops for the 'customers'. The power to decide left with an often unempathetic bureaucrat.

Also any prospective employer will have no interest in employing same when there are so many 'healthy' candidates to choose from. These exist to make maximum profit from their workers. Neoliberalism evidences this reality. Disjointed CV 's and work history will easily weed out unhealthy candidates from a possible offer of selection for work duty.

You're right though. Signing off is an option. With a doctor's medical cert those unsuitable to being bullied with their trauma magnified by various health issues can in many cases free themselves from this adversarial system. Instead they can claim the SWA. It is unfair in that it pays less support but it is an option.

I'm glad your partner found some solace here after six months on welfare in her home country. I hope her insurance claim here was fairly adjudicated too.

You're mixing up jobseekers with disability payments. Those on disability don't engage with laes and aren't expected to be looking for work.

You're post confirms one thing. You've no idea what you're talking about

There you go Gaslighting again.

People are often on Jobseekers Allowance many months while awaiting an outcome on Applications for other more appropriate payments. There are many with various levels of disabilities including Depression, Arthritis etc referred to LAES and other Activation Schemes. As these schemes are privatised for profit based on commissions it is not in their financial interest to release 'Customers' unless obligated to. While on Jobseekers Allowance these 'Customers' must comply or they will be financially sanctioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Laes doesn’t involve claimants of Disability/illness/Invalidity.

It seems the poster just has a bone to pick with laes. Misinformation is the name of the game 😁.

That's correct. Nowhere did I say they do. But I'll repeat myself and attempt to simplify. I'll also explain in detail how LAES/SEETEC operate.

Those on Jobseekers Allowance while awaiting a Disability Allowance application for example (can take many months as stated) are referred to LAES/SEETEC from the DSP. Therefore as suggested I would recommend they engage with their GP. Where appropriate a medical cert will be supplied and a switch to SWA (after being made apply for Illness Benefit which they won't be entitled to). Unfairly less money for the 'customer' in the case of SWA but no longer under the cosh of LAES/SEETEC.

LAES/SEETEC make their not insignificant Commissions which are up to several thousand euros of Tax Payers money on each 'customer' who looks for the job themselves anyway. LAES/SEETEC do not supply this employment. This dysfunctional "initiative"from the DSP (as sanctioned by the current Government) involves SEETEC with LAES (using SEETEC software and methods). These are enmeshed and it has already cost us the Tax Payer over €300,000,000 with tiny results. Vast profits are being made by these combined businesses from unemployment. So yes we should all have "a bone to pick". Unless of course one happens to be part of the problem by being a benefactor of these massive profits. In that case you'd recommend these schemes.

Post edited by WIZWEB on

In my 20 years of helping people who are on jobseekers to apply for disability allowance the procedure has always been :

1. complete DA application form
    2. send it away
    3. present to CWO
    4. CWO notes DA application is pending
    5. applicant is awarded SWA pending a decision on their DA application. The SWA remains in place until DA is awarded, or not as the case may be, and will remain in place while an appeal/review takes place in the event of the latter. I’m sorry if that’s not been your experience but that’s what happens in my neck of the woods.
    6. edited to add: the rate of SWA is a whole €2 less then DA or JS.

Thanks for that non adversarial response and highlighting of SWA. Also your understanding of DA. I'm not talking of a personal experience. I'm just advocating on behalf of others.

Yes it's €2 a week but there are many on breadline with rising costs so a little unfair that they are not equal amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

What is "SWA"?

SWA is a SW scheme designed as a kind of a catch-all payment.

Say you become ill or have an accident and can’t go to work.

Your employer only has to pay you for the first 3 days.

You’ve no entitlement to SW Illness Benefit because you weren’t working in 2021.

Despite what people say, the state doesn’t expect you to starve to death. You can apply to the CWO for SWA. If you have no income and less then €5000 savings you’ll get a payment to tide you over till you get back to work.

It also covers unexpected events, like a fridge breaking down, damage from a flood or a fire, and more recently, help to pay for an unusually large utility bill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

Thanks

Advertisement