Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. George's Burial Ground, Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin.

Options
  • 19-04-2023 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Have a few distant relations here. I have details from irishgenealogy.ie - (scanned church registers there are a great resource).

I'm wondering about actually visiting the cemetery. Can it be entered? What sort of condition is it in? Is it safe to visit? etc.

On Rootschat there is reference to a key in a local house, any details of this? Also reference to a map - would anyone have a copy of those images?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The entry at dublincity.ie gives Bishop's Curate, 96 Lower Drumcondra Road as the contact.

Maybe access is through one of the lane ways that go behind the houses and many of those are now gated so that could be why there's a need to contact a key holder.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

The entrance as far as I can remember is behind the NCBI building on Whitworth Road.

Someone in that building may have more information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks, I'll call in to the NCBI when next in the area. Looking at Google Maps the gateway from Whitworth Road looks unused, but the one from St. Columba's Road Lower looks in use for access and parking.

I downloaded the plan mentioned on Rootschat, but dreadful quality. According to the RCBI site they have a plan also.

Thanks, 96 also worth a visit. The laneway from St. Columba's looks hopeful.

Spent a lot of time last night tidying up the duplicate entries for this graveyard on FindaGrave.com Now sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes, I see the unused entrance on Whitworth Road now but you're right, the lane from St. Columba's looks like the way in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I believe you may find it in poor condition from what I was told by someone who went there a long time back, they didn't find anything relevant to their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SusanFM

Hi Bow Wow,

I was wondering if you had any success gaining access to the graveyard? I’m interested in gaining access in the future too. Thx.

Susan,

Apologies for delay in replying.

Yes, I had a look in through gate. The laneway on St. Columba's road is the way in. Place is really overgrown. The key is available from the Bishop's Curate, 96 Lr Drumcondra Road, per the Dublin City website, I had a look in there as well - also overgrown and in need of maintenence.

Cemetery records are in the RCBI, as is a map of the cemetery. I have decided to visit the RCBI first and get the necessary plot details. I have yet to do this.

BW.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I'm not sure if the Bishop's Curate is one and the same, but have you tried contacting St John The Baptist, Drumcondra? That was the traditional way of trying to gain access to the cemetery - although incredibly difficult to get somebody to facilitate it.

I see online that any of the links to contact the church directly are broken urls or the contact has been removed - I presume on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Hello all, did anyone manage to find a legible, hi-res burial plot map for the cemetery? I have need of a high quality map.

I have a lower resolution snap that I took of the Plot Map an OpenHouse event a while back, but I can't read who's who from it :(

Any help appreciated, but I feel a trip to RCBI is pending!

Advertisement