Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing Car - Australia

Options
  • 20-04-2023 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I'm looking to move home from Australia in the next 12 months and trying to decide if its worth bringing home a car. I'm OK from a VRT and VAT perspective (EU manufacturer) i think and the shipping rates are currently ~$9k. The main issue is the warranty. I want to buy a 2 year old car but as European build cars have bad reputations in Oz, I would want the warranty to transfer back to Ireland. Does anyone know of any EU manufacturers that allow warranties to transfer internationally? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not going to get a transferable warranty that is global. Cars conform to different standards and specifications depending on regional regulations and guidelines where they are originally intended to be sold. This isn't just European manufacturers either, if you brought a Toyota back to Ireland from Oz Toyota Europe/Toyota Ireland will not recognise or honour the Oz warranty as the car was never intended to be sold in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It would want to be a very special car to spend 9k shipping it to Ireland and paying all the relevant taxes on it. As said, the warranty will most likely not be honoured here in any case.

I think you may be better off selling in Oz and buying a replacement here.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'm not sure if true, but I remember reading once that Australian built vehicles don't necessarily come with much in the way of anti-corrosion coatings on the underside of the car due to the difference in climate. Don't quote me on it but it might be something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

My friend was home from OZ and mentioned this about European cars, he actually checking into it and the bad reputation is because of the cost of parts. So his boss bought a BMW and any part was massively expensive compared to other equivalents. Now BMW parts are expensive but nothing close to what you pay in Oz.

When I lived in Oz it was a lot of Fords/Mitsubi/Toyota etc from all that side of World. He drives a Mitsubishi something.

Nothing that you can't buy in Europe and I certainly wouldn't pay to transport a car back from Aus to Ireland unless it was vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair on the shipping 9k AUD is only 5.5k EUR. Still seems a tad expensive but on a higher end car it might be worth it. Cars are quite cheap over there compared to Ireland.

No VAT or VRT to be paid either under transfer of residency.

If you picked the right car it would be worth it. Something in a high VRT bracket but with cheapish tax. Range Rover or Golf R maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I think it has the potential to be a headache in the long run. As previously stated, warranty won't be valid in other regions. Cars are built slightly different for different climates. Some parts will be different also - you'll still be able to get them but many won't be stocked items in EU dealers/distributors. If you do decide to bring it back to the EU you'll need to get an EU Certificate of Conformity - without this registering it in an EU country could be difficult or maybe impossible.

Then there's the resale issue.

Not sure if you already own the car but if you do, sell it in Australia, move back and buy a vehicle intended for the EU market.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

roll on roll off shipping is not 9k Shirley. It's more like 3k AUS

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

There was a dealer here recently advertising 2020 / 2021 Japan imports with "3 years manufacturer" warranty.

Honda Vezels they were.

Friend of mine was going to buy one as it was a fair few grand under the EU model price but I had to put him straight on it.

Even UK imports arent always covered for Irish warranty in a dealer even before brexit. For example Hyundai used to insist on a full UK Hyundai dealer service history before any warranty was given. Honda are the same - Full Honda history required even in Ireland although its a grey are with regards to proving parts are of "similar" quality. Most of the manufacturers I worked with were the same.

Eu wide warranty with most manufacturers also ask for dealer service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Williewell

Thanks everyone for feedback. I just got onto VW to see and they said they're warranty covers globally but only for 2 years from new. Hopefully cars at home come down in price a bit in the next 12 months. The car I bought 2.5 years ago and sold before i emigrated is still the same price on donedeal😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VW / audi have a global warranty. I think its only the first 2 years though. We've had to fix things in some imports under warranty here in NZ

EDIT: that stopped in 2019, sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement