Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 4) Slieve Russell (20th May @1:20pm)

• 20-04-2023 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058290554/boards-golf-society-2023-round-3-arklow-15th-apr-11-40am/p1 )

Congratulation to GolfGraffix, the overall winner of the Links Swing opening series of events and current leader in the year long GOTY race. Things change a bit now as we turn inland to high level parkland for the rest of the events in the lead up to the Killarney Classic at the end of summer.

Welcome to the fourth round at PGA National Ireland Slieve Russell.

Wow, one of only 8 PGA National designated resorts in the world & Irish Golfer Magazine rated top three parklands in the country. By all accounts we're in for a treat.

Pricing for this one is €50. A new course for me again. Any guides or tips please feel free to share. Bookings will open about 3 weeks before the event.

Can a proven links player like GG (after savage handicap cuts!) continue his domination on parkland? Links doesn't suit everyone and looking back over the current GOTY standings there's some big names outside the top ten who will no doubt start leaning on their powergame as a springboard to make a move on the leaderboard here.

(This event may be a long travel for some - a 4star 200+ bedroom hotel onsite offers an opportunity to relax and enjoy a bit of craic before the round)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

With no portmarnock links this year , you got yourself (and me) off the hook with this one. Mrs B is happy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Looking forward to getting back on the road after missing the last outing. Wife had made plans for the evening with an early start in Dublin but I informed her that whilst I will join her…….. I will be late….. boards golf takes priority over a birthday dinner and drinks with friends 🤣😂. Especially when you have been away for last outing and will also miss the next one.

anyway I don’t think I’ve been to Cavan since I went to my college roommates (and star of Gogglebox) 21st in the late 90’s, in the Slieve Russell of all places. Don’t think there was a golf course back then. I remember towards the end of the college year I came home one day and Tully was stripping the wallpaper and I asked if he was redecorating. “No, just getting ready to move home” he replied. Anyway it was a good night at the twins birthday, but disaster nearly struck when I saw one local lad drop his wallet in the crowd……. It was ok though, he caught it before it hit the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No real course tips, there is great variety and maybe just two/three blind tee shots from memory, lovely holes around water and the second is the best hole IMHO. Clean and place everywhere last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Threw all the 18 holes into a mini playlist to make it handy for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Video looks great, really looking forward to our first parkland course of the year. Definitely a preference for me personally to playing a links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As long as a low skill level is tolerated, I should be along! I've heard great things about the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

This course was on my must play list for a long time. Really looking forward to this outing.

Thanks a million for posting the course guide Pakman.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Cavan.

Anyone having a problem booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Richiemaloney

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Booking is not open yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Apoligies @roadrunner I will be missing this outing and should make all the rest of the outings, just a clash with something else I’ve on that can’t be moved. Was looking forward to it when I saw the list posted in January and all!!

Sorry

PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Looks like it’s open for business

Booked in 🏌️🏌️🏌️👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Also booked in. Looking forward to it, was trying to book to stay over but no rooms available so am about 30 mins up the road!

booked in myself first slot

am due back in Dublin for a birthday dinner at 6:30 but in life one must get their priorities in order ⛳️

I'm gonna just ask if there's any fellow hackers/high handicappers heading to this? Don't wanna be the only one scratching my way through a round :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is your handicap Jimmy ...we have guys in high 20s..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Never an issue with these lads.

Once you don't lose ground and can give and take a bit of banter, you will fit right in.

They even made me Captain 1 year. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

You will fit right in, there’s a great welcome for anyone who’s interested in golf, regardless of ability.

i won a great prize for playing the most golf last year, an indication of how the Boards Golf Society recognizes low to high players.

Hope to see you in Slieve Russell.

• Advertisement

Don't have an official handicap quite yet but a typical score is still 120-135ish so I'm guessing it'll end up being well up into the 30s. One scorecard in in my club, two to go.

And yep, the lads were very welcoming the last day, just putting the feelers out in case any higher handicap players want similar company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Sounds like you need some practice. You should definitely play! Even putting your name down will be an incentive to get to the range in advance of the day.

Very few people mind playing with high handicappers. And those that do should cop on. Just try to keep moving on the day - be ready to play, leave your bag in sensible places, don't have a long pre shot routine. And then just enjoy yourself. You'll be out on great courses in blistering sunshine (thanks to benny putting out the child of Prague). However many shots you take it's the type of day you should be grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

PM'd you Jimmy. Looking forward to seeing you at Slieve Russell if you can make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

Just put my name down for this. Hopefully my back holds up as it has been given me a bit of grief (have a physio session booked tomorrow) but I really wanted to try this course out , even if I have to crawl around. I can almost hear it sob when I look at the route on google maps to get there , well over 3+ hrs so I have any number of excuses to play cr*p !

Plenty of smarties (ibuprofen) should help 👍️

(This comment is intended for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Roadrunner is not a trained medical professional and is not qualified to provide medical advice. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read which has been provided by roadrunner)

All I can hear and see now is this;

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I left it late to see if I could get myself to an acceptable level for the Slieve Russell but frankly my game is utterly rotten (and not enjoyable) at the moment, so I'll give this one a miss. Hopefully I'll get myself to an acceptable standard before the next outing and can buzz along.

Stick your name down and come along. You only ever regret the things you don’t do 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

I think you are missing the key point of the society

Enjoyment and craic is the priority..golf..while important..is very secondary.

Yes we all want to play well but it doesnt always happen that way but the company and camaraderie is what keeps people coming back.

Forget about the golf..let it be what it is on the day

• Advertisement

Folks, we have room for 40. 24 names on the sheet at the moment. Still time to get your name down if you have been on the fence. For those down at later times, we will tighten sheet up later in week and hand times back to club. Feel free to move yourself in between but I’ll not make any changes till Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

@Seve OB @RoadRunner Sorry Guys but I won't be able to attend this outing which is one that I very much was looking forward too. I haven't played since Arklow due to back issues which are now having an impact on me even walking🤕. I have struggled since the turn of the year and its only gotten worse. I did have a conversation with Dr Nick aka Roadrunner at the Arklow outing but I did go to a real doctor who reckons it's most likely Sciatica. X-Rays last week and an MRI this Wednesday will hopefully confirm the diagnosis. At least then the treatment can begin and hopefully a return to golf before the Summer ends.

Macker1

Post edited by Macker1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

@Macker1 bad luck with the back.Hopefully you will get a good result.

Sciatica I know about.Herniated disc L5 I know about.

Couple of operations later and regular physio sessions nearly right as rain.

Hasnt improved my golf..thats incurable😂.. but has improved quality of life immensely.

Stay safe and keep positive.

@Macker1 get well soon , hope diagnosis is not to bad and recovery is quick

I hear you, and I'm all for the craic, and I'm well used to not playing well. But the last round or two (with my mates) of being unable to string two consistent shots together meant it was zero craic and not enjoyable at all for me - THAT level of bad isn't something I want to bring out with others.

I'd say you should definitely play. If you're having a disaster on a hole just pick up. And if you get to the green and know you're going to be waiting on the next tee, throw a ball down and play out the hole.

The only person anyone in the society minds playing badly is themselves. And also, think of how impressed everyone will be the next time you come out and break 100.

• Advertisement

Pity I didn't have my tools or even the trusty rusty 60degree low bounce wedge with me in Arklow or I could have done the Microdiscectomy there and then.

Get well soon and I'll catch you later in the summer.

Folks, I've updated the timesheet now and you should all have received an email with new tee times.

Please be vigilant of your tee time. Most have been moved slightly earlier.

any issues with times please let me know and I can adjust

@Macker1 sorry to hear about the back pain. Know with sciatica had it some years ago too. Get well soon and hopefully see you back on the outings soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Haven't been playing the best the past few weeks but I'm still really looking forward to this. Anyone I've mentioned it to that I'm playing here has said how nice a course it is and to just enjoy it. Also looking like the weather gods are being kind and pretty much ideal golfing conditions. Roll on Saturday!!!

slight rejig to time sheet done there and emails with new times sent out

• Advertisement

Getting dizzy here..😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Perfect golf conditions! 19C only light wind and mildly overcast. Enjoy this one, there'll be no excuses 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have a great round everyone, unfortunately life is stopping me getting to this one, which has been on my list for quite a while.

Best of luck, see ye in a month's time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, enjoy all. Briefly thought i'd get up for this, but not doable now. Hope to be back for June's outing.

Looks like you're set for a glorious day. Enjoy.

Golf shorts packed so 😎😁. See you all tomorrow folks 🏌️

I guess it should be noted that YR.NO calls for some rain towards the end of our round that Met.ie doesn't "see". Just bring everything from suncream to brolly that you'd normally be expected to bring.

Congestion delay possible Virginia. 15 /20 mins today.

Speedy recovery to our Captain on his unfortunate accident today.

Someone is still looking for the tenner though.

No score is no score after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Probably one of my longest boards days ever - Was going well till we got the news - but will leave that off here.

The course was remarkably soft for late May - so was a good call on the tees and lift and clean by our captain.

Love the course - 2nd time there. Fantastic layout using the natural flow of the land - nice changes in direction and lovely greens - if a bit bumpy due to soft greens and high balls causing pitch marks from previous play.

If the green tees were a bit forward - I still enjoyed the challenge of the tight landing areas - I'm normally good at this - but probably used the driver a bit too much as was not needed all the time.

Was in a lovely group of Seve - BigChap and Pakman - all very fast golfers - in fact, we were a bit too fast for the hungover group ahead. Seve and Pakman were a bit loose off the tee on the front and it is a place that will kill you if you start that - they improved massively on the back.

BigChap was very impressive on the front nine and he was hitting very powerfull drives and irons and making the course very short with his strong striking.

Soft conditions and a parkland - is never a strength of mine - well I've had very few good days over the last few years - but got it going with the driver and hit some very accurate irons - to score better than I expected.

A soft day came in over the drumlins from about 15 on - and we were glad to turn for home when we did.

Overall a long day - but I commend the captain on getting us to Ulster - whilst a long drive for most - it is important that we get ourselves outside our comfort zone of leinster and N4 / N7.

We were saying in our group Concra Woods might be another good call if mid summer outing at some point.

Anyway - we got over the day - faced a few issues and events - but we were still able to get all sorted - planed or not - well done all. Fair play Seve again on results.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Advertisement
Advertisement