Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payslips going digital... Would you?

• 20-04-2023 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

So youll need a MyGov ID account first.

I'm a bit against the idea of a government ID card, so I'm out in that regard.

Not sure if signing up stops you receiving a physical payslip, but word of warning... do NOT trust the department of education to roll this out correctly.

I'd advise everyone and anyone to keep a physical record of all your payslips till you retire.

Don't think this affects ETB people though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I work in the HSE. We get our pay slips via an online portal called NISRP. No MyGov ID needed for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Interesting, I wonder why they require teachers to sign up to the mygov I'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭French Toast

I've been getting digital payslips from my ETB for the past 2 years I'd say. I don't think MyGov ID was ever brought up in the process of setting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would anyone want a paper payslip. Haven't had one on over ten years. Awful yolks. I've my payslip in my phone anytime I want to review it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

While I generally agree with you, and indeed this piece of advice would stand for paper OR digital payslips - you should maintain some record of your payslips, print out, put in a envelope in a drawer a few times of year. Indeed you should keep a physical record of any correspondance you have on pay and pension in a safe place.

I've seen/heard of a few issues of late (mainly around ETB's) and people coming up to retirement that involve time critical pension payments. Without a few old payslips/records of correspondance the employees could have ended up in a situation where they didnt get the pension they thought they would.

Over the years as organisations merge/de-merge/change names/payment platforms change etc etc things can get lost, go wrong etc etc so it is important to at least keep a few payslips backed up somewhere that isn't where the payslips normally are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Like downloaded to your laptop, in your email, hosted on the saas provider who's sole business is hosting payslip pdfs.

Its fairly ubiquitous at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You are signing up for a MygovID account, you do not need a PSC card to do so, nor does signing up to a MygovID account give you one, nor does it give the government any more information than they already have on you.

I'm at a loss as to why you would be against digital payslips, you can still easily print them should you really want to, multiple times should they get lost or destroyed, can't do that with a paper one.

Just like kippy above , I've 2 cases of friend and family where payroll claimed that there were unaccounted for gaps on their system and the only thing that would satisfy them is a payslip. This would have had major implications for pension and increments.

I just don't like the idea of assuming that the department of education will look after my data for me. They've messed me up twice already but for the fact that I've checked my payslip. I suspect if it was all digital I might have missed it.

I'm officially old fashioned now.

Would people find it odd that I've all my payslips since 2006? Anyone else have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm in a different sector, but I too had all my payslips since I joined my current section in 2005!

Until we moved building last year and I consigned them to the shredder, couldn't be bothered dragging them with me.

We moved to online payslips a couple of years ago, and it's absolutely fine - the payslips are all there since the changeover, with all the information that was on the paper one.

ETA - in fact, just out of interest I went into the system to check when we switched over - and all my payslips are there since 1997, when we were still being paid by cheque!!😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We have had electronic payslips in our ETB for years, and a couple of years ago we migrated to a new system, I think multiple ETBs are on it and we can login and get our payslips and they are all there. So far no problems with it. Not entirely sure what the payroll dept of my ETB do now, because they don't process payslips and anyone that has had a query about pay has got a 'not our department' type response from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I can't believe people still get payslips on paper! Haven't seen one of those in 15+ years.

How much money (and how much have people been inconvenienced in the past 15 years) by the department still acting like it's the 20th century.

And I see from the website that it is "optional"? So they plan to keep wasting money on this crap? They should deduct €5 from every payslip that has to be done physically. Call it a "dinosaur tax"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah but the government is going to be spying on them now (same government that pays the wage and issues the paper payslip).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Maybe because some teachers have to sign on in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Paper payslips need to be consigned to history. The postage cost alone is staggering. Take just Primary Teachers alone, serving and retired, who receive fortnightly payslips. Tens of thousands of recipients 26 times a year and millions of euro on postage.

The idea above for a paper payslip charge is fantastic. At least a fiver for stamp, envelope, printing, environmental charge.

Do some people not realise that a paper and digital payslip has the same information, it's just your delivery method will change.

Also MyGov ID is needed for welfare applications (maternity leave for example), checking PRSI treatments, checking PRSI records, logging into Revenue (there are other ways), and much more, so most people should already have this.

It may be at this point for some, but not for all and even at that if you change jobs, roles, pay platform providers etc things can get lost misplaced or are no longer accessible. A printout of a payslip from a few times a year stored in a folder, scanned to somewhere you should always have access to is no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You just download as many as you like, and store wherever you want. But like I say, mine are all there going back to the 1990s, they clearly digitised their archives.

Honestly, I'm as big a luddite as there is going, and I'm totally converted. We are a big organisation who are paid weekly, and the thought of the costs of the weekly payslip bill was truly frightening!

Well, thats grand but as someone who has moved departments within the public service, moved into the Civil service, back out of the civil service to the public service while having a pension buy pack not long after entering the service initially, I can tell you that there have been multiple payroll staff, payroll departments, payroll software and indeed pensions discussions/clarifications needed while doing those moves. At some point in the future I know I will need to have records of these conversations/agreements etc and theres no one place I can go for that (and again, there are plenty examples of issues arrising close to retirement because records haven't been kept by some party, records not being available etc etc.

Granted it may be different if you've been a teacher in the primary school system all your career and it may be different for the past decade or so and moving into the future - I am just making the point that there's no harm having a few paper copies (that you print yourself) or scanned copies of payslips a few times a year that aren't in the primary storage location they are in.

All for digitisation of payslips BTW - just giving a bit of context around issues that can arise down the line and how best to try protect yourself if that does happen.

What is the issue? You will still have your payslips. Is it that you'll have to print it yourself?

There is no issue.

I am just pointing out that you cannot and should not rely on another entity or person maintaining a record of your pay/pension arrangements over the course of a 40 plus year career - whether you receive the payslips electronicilly or in physical format.

So don't assume the employer maintains records of all of your payslips, don't assume you'll always have access to whatever portal/system/email address etc your payslips reside on and try and keep a number of payslips annually for the time that you MIGHT need them closer to retirement. This goes for any discussion around something that may impact on your pay, pension or terms of service.

I appreciate this is a teaching forum and things may be more straightforward.

Most recent case I've heard is where a person approaching retirement requested a pension statement (they were looking into AVC's and had received advise on how best to maximise their pension) on receipt of the pension statement the person was shocked to find that their pension lump and weekly sum was not what they had anticipated it would be. Opened up major issue for the person. It transpired that the person had not being paying as much into the pension as they should have (again this can be a complicated area depending on type of job, pension scheme, persons career history/career breaks etc)

Person had no record of their payslips going back to the times they were on breaks, was with another now defunct/merged department - an absolute MESS.

There were a few lessons to take from it in reality.

Keep an eye on your pension statement/entitlements as time goes on (not everyone will have a clean 40 years in one job). This ensures that if you are "underpaying" you have adequate time to correct it. Keep some records of your salary and discussions around same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

How many teachers are banging on about climate change and still think its ok to have a paper payslip, from memory i think they even get posted to your home address adding more carbon to the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Happy to work for and get paid by the government but doesn't want to have a government ID. This place never ceases to entertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I moved from ETB to a Dept school and couldn't believe that paper payslips were still a thing. I'll be first in line to get back to online copies.

OK. An e-version of a payslip, stored on the cloud is a much better way of maintaining the payslips, and a lot more reliable than a paper copy. Also when a bank or mortgage broker asks for a payslip they want it sent digitally, they'd laugh at you bringing a paper copy in.

Most payslips are sent by email, so people aren't relying on their employer to keep them, they have the copy themselves.

I don't think you are grasping the main point I am making - but that's fine. The point I am making may not apply to everyone.

My point applies whether you get your payslip in paper or digital form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The MyGov profile and ID is to access certain public services that have nothing to do with salary for employment, irrespective of whether that employment is private or public sector.

I was in and out of public sector employment over the years. When pay payslips went digital, all I ever needed to access them was my staff number and a password of my choosing.

If any State body tries to insist on the use of a MyGov ID to access your payslips from them, tell them to go and fornicate with themselves. You are absolutely entitled to silo your private information and not have it pooled with a range of other public services, particularly given the long history of cases of other State employees being unscrupulous with data.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TP4725

Just for everyone's information, it appears that a public service card is required. I just registered for MyGovID for the purposes of getting payslips electronically. I then tried to log in to Digital Postbox using MygovID and it asked me to verify my MyGovID account in order to access the service so I clicked the relevant button and it tells me that I cannot verify my account as I do not have a public services card registered to my PPS number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

It's amazing how hard headed people are ...particularly when it comes to them thinking people are saying what they are not. It's like they read and hear what they want to read/hear rather than what's actually written or said.

I understand completely the main point you are making and think.its an important and helpful one to make (for those capabke of taking it on board)...their loss if they can't in preference to jumping down peoples throats and the substantive point passes them by.

You've mentioned a number of times now a printed backup is no harm (perhaps just once or twice a year) in the event you can't retrieve the digital version (for any number of reasons) and it could be very useful in the future should you have to prove anything anyone that cant grasp that just wants to argue against a point not being made by you I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Shhhh.... If the ASTI teachers think the government is saving money they will strike over it.

• Advertisement

Indeed, another avenue must be made available.

"A spokesperson for the Department said that it is now “acknowledged and accepted that the Department and other specified bodies can continue to use MyGovID (the digital side of the PSC) as the sole means of authenticating identity for the purpose of accessing online services, provided that an alternative service channel is available”.

This means that the PSC database can still be used for public services online, so long as other portals to access those services also exist."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/department-forced-into-u-turn-around-mandatory-public-services-card-1226669.html

Advertisement