Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for returning Irish family - best Dublin areas to buy

Options
  • 20-04-2023 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

We are an Irish family currently living abroad with our twin 3 year old boys.

We are planning on returning to Ireland after 10 years later this year or early next year and currently looking at locations to buy a house.

I understand the turmoil in the property market and potential downside coming down the track but with that in mind we will still look to buy as we need to move back for personal reasons. We are in the process of selling our house and will be in a position to buy in Ireland when we move there.

We have a budget of around €900K and are looking for a family friendly neighbourhood with good primary schools and transportation nearby. We are looking at Booterstown to Glenageary and around Portmarnock and Malahide.

Does anyone have any feedback on these areas - do you think they are suitable for what we are looking for? Are there other areas you would consider living in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Shankill, same or better transport links, near the motorway and more of a village feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There are plenty of houses on sale in Booterstown in that price range Mostly older semi detached. The area has unrivalled transport with Dart, 2 Aircoach routes and 2 QBC routes with very frequent buses on the N11. The area is well established and peaceful. There is no shortage of school places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You could pretty much live wherever you like with that budget. I grew up in Malahide, it's a lovely place for a family. Has a train station, bus into town, and there's 3 primary schools in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ReturningFam23

Thanks everyone for the comments, I realise that its very difficult to get generalised feedback like this so we are researching and reaching out to as many people as we can. It's quite tricky to plan a move back in better times renting for a year or two would be an option but the rental market seems to be a mess right now and we could easily fork out €60K per year for anything decent. We will keep exploring our options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Raheny. Fantastic place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sia Ng

I can't recommend Booterstown more. My husband and I we both not Irish but we found this place so nice and handy. Althought we bought in Dublin 18, but still looking to move back booterstown in short future. Great amenities, coffee, school, playground, DART+N11, most important: nice costal view.

Advertisement