Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aptitude tests in secondary schools.

• 20-04-2023 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

As far as I know, secondary school pupils who sit aptitude tests are not informed of the results of those tests.

Are secondary schools legally obliged to have aptitude tests?

What is the point of those tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

You may be thinking of Cognitive Ability Tests, I have never heard of aptitude tests at entry stage.

If you have multiple classes in 1st year entering the school, it is very important that you don't end up with one group that have a lot of students scoring very low or very high as they will be at a disadvantage as it will be impossible to evenly match the school resources to the students' needs.

If there are 4 first year groups and all 4 groups have an even mix of abilities then teachers will be better able to meet students' needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭CraftySue

"secondary school pupils who sit aptitude tests are not informed of the results of those tests."- I as a parent have got the scores of my son's CAT tests, I just got in contact with his Head Teacher, who forwarded the scores.

What is the point of those tests?

-They may identify students who may extra support in school, and in what areas.

-They can identify students who may have dyslexia and may need to have additional testing.

-They can give an indication of how a student might perform academically. If a student isn't performing as expected academically later on, it can be looked into for reasons why.

-It can show possible areas of strength for a student for example someone who scores well on non-verbal problem solving- may do well academically in areas like technical graphics, art, maths, coding, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sure you can get the results but I really think it's important to be trained or at least informed about aptitude test results.

The Career Guidance or SEN Coordinator usually have to be qualified in testing.

It's not quite the same as a subject exam result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

My lads did CAT4 exams as entrance exams for secondary. I have both sets of results as the school called us for a meeting as their results were quite high (unfortunately they're not too interested in achieving academically). I looked up how to interpret the results. Our third fella will be doing them next year and I'll ask the school for his results too, just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone ever keep an eye on the top students in those ability tests (like, compare the test to JC LC outcomes)

I find they really fall under the radar and aren't necessarily the 625s that people would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

Mine certainly won't be getting anywhere near 625😆

A hard working bright student will always outstrip a superior intellect student who doesn't put in much effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

God be with the days when State-funded schools were allowed by Irish law to exclude entire sections of society by using entrance exams - and then boast about how successful their LC exam results were due to "excellent teaching" and other nonsense.

It's not long ago at all since cherrypicking - via using entrance exams to exclude SEN students and other "undesirables" - by State-funded schools (most obviously by the fee-charging schools, all of which are funded by our taxes) was made illegal.

Advertisement