Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons in Chemistry [Apple]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I absolutely loved the book, I guess inevitable there would be a film/tv show, Brie Larson is a good choice for the lead imo.

Good casting for the dog Six Thirty as well, the Calvin character is maybe a tad too handsome though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lessons In Chemistry on Apple TV+ will make it's global debut on Friday, 13th October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Wife read the booked and loved it, and when she asked if i wanted to watch it, it didn't seem to be my cup of tea; but seeing as Brie Larson is in it, decided to give the first episode a whirl. It's quite good - funny and quirky, and its always interesting to see how our current social mores get to analyse those of previous generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I've seen the first 5 episodes, and its very enjoyable. Funny, quirky, sad, clever, and ultimately uplifting - all through the lens of baked-in misogynism (see what I did there?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m up to date bar the very latest episode. It’s fairly good but I was finding it a bit of a slog early on. I think the introduction of her daughter has helped the show.

I can’t get past the history rewrite however. Apple seem to do this a lot in there shows. Very much a feel of “Wouldn’t it be great if the 1950s was as enlightened as we are. Yup, let’s show what it’s have been like and how much better it would have been”. Her neighbours are a case in point. I can’t have seen both parents in a household out working at that particular time. I also don’t think they would both have gotten the opportunities in life to both have high powered jobs. Similarly I’m guessing the main character would have had her child taken off her as a single mother. It’s absolutely wrong but that was how it was and we’ve it arrived here because of the recognition of those wrongs in the past.

Shows like this remind me of one of the criticisms I read somewhere of the original Star Trek where the enterprise showed up at a planet, told them all why what they were doing was wrong then sailed off into the sunset. It’s just to easy to pick a few things and preach to others about why they’re wrong without taking into account the entire reality

I’ll stick with it but I’d expected to like the show mute from what I’d heard coming up to it starting I think it might just be a v little too fluffy for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement