Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Tesla with no way to charge at home - no driveway (Dublin City)

• 21-04-2023 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have experience with owning a Tesla but have no way to install a homecharger therefore 100% relies on public charging stations?

I live in a part of Dublin where none of the houses have driveways on my street. The parking is Pay & Display. This is very common throughout the city obviously and I often see Teslas and other EVs parked nearby (Portobello/Rathmines/Harolds Cross etc.) and wonder what those owners charging habits are.

I don't drive much and was thinking of charging the vehicle fully at least once a week with possible top ups throughout the week. The range on all Tesla models is more than enough to cover my commute if I charge once a week.

However, I have read on a few forums that the car SHOULD be charged daily otherwise this could seriously harm the battery life and the range over time.

Surely there are plenty of people in a similar situation as not all houses in Dublin have front driveways?

Help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

There is no need to charge the car daily - charging once a week is common. However I would say that constantly charging via DC Fast charging is not great. When you charge at home you charging at 7KW over a period of multiple hours, Fast Chargers are 50 to 150KW - so when you depending on public charging you can use the slower AC chargers or the faster DC chargers. However the trend is towards installing faster DC chargers, but you would need to check what is available in your area. just take a look at the plugshare website.

My advice is that if you cant charge at home the hassle of public charging can be problematic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Alternative advice, if you don't drive much at all, is to forego a car completely and just use Go Car if/when you have a particular need. That way you get out of magpie mode and avoid a huge outlay.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I would also have thought that using Public charging exclusively largely (if not completely) negates any potential cost savings from switching from ICE to BEV.

Instead of paying ~20c a Kw/hr for charging overnight at home , you'd be paying several multiples of that for public charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Doesn't make any sense financially, you'll be paying more than petrol at the pump using public chargers and then the hassle of charging.

Nissan and Honda now have cars that drive exactly like EV's and are fuelled by petrol, if it's the EV driving experience your looking for which is much nicer than ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

Charging infrastructure on Dublin City streets is very bad. From areas you mentioned Harold Cross has no street charging just one on private setting, Portobello one, no proper markings so tends to be ICEd, Rathmines zero on the st, one at Tesco again often ICEd and 2 hours maximum stay. The fact that you drive very little does not help you encounter better areas. There might be Supervalu in Kimmage with some DC charging but I won't suggest to rely on ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

I was in the same situation as you and I ended up buying a Tesla. If you are after cost savings then they are going to be marginal if using public infrastructure at current rates. However if you just want a Tesla (like me) then I wouldn't view it as a barrier.

Like you I need to charge about once per week, but usually only when I am going on a long journey. So I just use supercharger/other fast chargers en route - which I would have likely had to do anyway even with home charging. It would sort of depend on what route your commute/or other drives take you. If there is a 150kw+ charger at some point along those routes then you are probably more than fine (check plugshare for chargers)

I think it is more than manageable to not have charging at home and in general I happy with it. Although at times it does limit you somewhat. For example instead of a quick top up on a long journey I have to wait an additional 10 mins, and I can't arrive home with 1% battery etc.

You just have to really take advantage of any public chargers when you can - always be charging. So for example this might mean a slight change to where you do your shopping so you can top up while you shop. Is there a charger at the gym etc. These little charges can mean that you never really run out of juice and mean you don't have to go out of your way to charge often/at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I saw one of these at a terrace house in Ballsbridge

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know that in the UK there has been some discussion about whether a thing like that reaching out over the public street requires planning permission and also if it means you need to extend Insurance coverage for public liability.

Might not be the case in Ireland , but I'd be pretty cagey about having something like that I my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

Don't do this by choice. There is no real upside. It's massive hassle to charge car in public even if only once a week.

A non EV will be far less hassle. Others may have free workplace charging or pass Tesla only superchargers on their regular trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How useful is it when anyone can park in a parking space on a public road and block you from accessing the charger you have installed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A Tesla or any EV for that matter can be cumbersome without home charging.

At the start it’s fine. You’ll tell yourself I’m going for a walk anyway, or a coffee or a run etc

But it will get tiresome quickly IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This thread will follow the normal format for such things

You'll get the usual people who don't regularly charge away from home telling you it's not doable or it's a painful experience. You'll get the people who are actually doing it who will tell you it's fine so long as you check out the local charging situation and don't buy a car that needs to be charged every two days.

At the end of the day so long as you aren't buying the car to save money on running costs you'll likely be fine. Public charging is only getting better year on year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

That's it, I probably should have specified that I am not looking to buy a Tesla to save money on running costs but more so because I like them and I'd like to try something a bit different. I have zero experience with driving around looking for charging stations so I hope it doesn't become too much of a burden. But as you said, public charging seems to be improving each year and lets hope it continues!

It looks like the Supervalu in Kimmage has 4 charging points of various speeds. Kimmage wouldn't be too far from me so if I had to go there once a week to charge that wouldn't be the end of the world. I don't want to rely on just one charging station though, I need a few options.

Thanks for the insight. I am considering a Tesla just because I like them - they are reasonably priced for a new car. Are you living in Dublin? Do you have any tips on which charging stations are decent etc? Another concern I have is that I would prefer not to leave my car charging somewhere overnight for security reasons. I have no experience with EVs and charging etc so any tips welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Plenty of people have a wall charger and run the cable across the pavement under a cable protector. No doubt there's a regulation against that, and you are at risk of having a litigious sort deciding to take a tumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Petrol cars don't drive like EVs.

Great idea for anyone with dedicated parking on-street. Suburban townhouse and the likes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's not impossible, I have free charging at work, nearly never use my home charger

Before I worked there and before I had a home charger I worked in a place near a train station that had a quiet charger so I probably could have gotten away with not having a home charger at all

Regards the charge arm, your politely ask your neighbors to leave a space free for you to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

I got my Model 3 RWD last year and I live in a terraced house in Portobello so not too far from you. I regularly use 11kw AC chargers on Adelaide Road, Wilton Place, Earlsfort Terrace and sometimes 50kw chargers in places like Lucan Shopping Centre and the Cricle K on Templeville Road or John Rogerson quay. The slow AC chargers in Dublin 2 are generally easy to get to and the ECars app will show you which ones are free so there’s no need to cruise around looking for one. You can park at one for something like 10 hours without overstay charges so it is ok to leave it there most of the day or even overnight. Don’t forget the clampers get going early though. The downside of the city chargers is you have to pay for parking when parking fees apply. That makes it very expensive so I only use them on weekday evenings after 7pm or on Sundays when parking is usually free all day. Having a parking pass for my street gets me no benefits if charging elsewhere in town.

My conclusion after a year is it’s perfectly doable. It’s not as cheap as home charging but hopefully prices will drop back soon and it’ll be less of an issue. Superchargers on motorways means Tesla is a much more dependable EV to drive long distances than the other makes that are reliant on ECars or Ionity. So I say if you want one and you don’t drive 200km every day and there are ECars chargers within walking distance then go for it. I wouldn’t go back to diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They look like a solicitors wet dream. An electrical hazard hanging down on the footpath is an open cheque book in a country where you can get compensation for nearly everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm going to be in the same position as you OP in around 4 months. I'll be selling mine then.

Not a chance am I spinning around looking for chargers. My nearest charger will be the Tesco in Rathmines. Not only is the AC charging expensive with ESB but you've also to pay the parking charges.

We go to Kerry a few times a year and also to my folks in Tyrone. The thought of the car being on 22% the night before, and I've to figure out where I can go and charge to at least 70 or 80% to get to the first supercharger isn't worth it.

In the Harold's cross, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure area there is the sum of fcuk all chargers for the amount of houses with no driveways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I agree with this poster. I work in Ranelagh and regularly walk the neighborhood. Plenty of people charge their EVs by running cable over the path from poles on the street. Is it legal, probably not but if you are in a quiet cul-de-sac or on a quiet road would it be worth installing a wall box at home? Probably. That charging arm is a great idea. It might be worth looking into.

Public charging in Dublin 6 is very limited but you should identify a local charger first close to your home, establish the best day to use it and top up the car once a week, maybe on a Saturday or Sunday.

It's all doable and more about having the right attitude which I think you do.

Seems to me you kinda made your mind. Maybe rent one and see how it goes. I live in an apartment and I drive EVs since March 2019. The thing is I drive at least 100 km a day but sometimes even 200 without crosssing Dublin's borders. It is a different mindset than when you have charger at home but is is not the end of the world. I've learnt the charging infrastructure around me and if we go somewhere where the car will be parked for few hours, unconsciously I calculate if there is a charger and if I can charge there. It doesn't take much effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭iniscealtra

My cousin lives has no parking and just rents a car when she needs it. About once a month. Much cheaper than owning a car and no hassle.

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like you have your charging days pretty well planned out. Have you ever tried the public charger in Harold's Cross Hospice? It's a low KW one but I am not sure if this is a public station or is it meant to staff/visitors of the hospice only.

I've downloaded the EV app that you mentioned - thanks for the tip. Will check out those parking spots as they are not far from me.

I see plenty of Teslas parked outside terraced houses all over Dublin 6/4, surely a lot of those people rely on the public EV infrastructure so it must be working ok for them. I hope to only need to charge the car once a week with possible smaller top ups during the week so public charging shouldn't become too much hassle.

They might charge at work. Did you install Plugshare? Community driven you can gauge charger reliability, helps locating and so on. The one you mention. Pretty slow, charges about 10% per hour, the price is okish. I don't know about parking fees and rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

I live near black rock and common drive for me is to west of the country so I hit either Tesla Sandyford, SuperValu knocklyon, Tesla Enfield or Ionity. That does me for the trip, as well as for the week or so after. As well as topping up whenever I am already going somewhere - so top with AC when getting food shopping, or in dundrum shopping center fro example, or on-street AC if I am in town for whatever reason et. That does the job for me and never been stuck. Your area is a bit sparce on high powered chargers I'll admit that. But if you had the 50kw in Kimmage for 30 mins a week it might do you.

The trick is to always top up if available, even if you don't need it. I have never had to drive around looking for a charger. But again would depend on your routes. Definitely wouldn't be relying on AC for anything but top up. Ideally you would have a DC on usual route somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I did it for a few months when I first got the car (Model 3), North Dublin area. I had an ionity within 10 mins of home and it came in useful, along with workplace charging (a 120km round trip to work).

It was doable, but I was growing weary of it before the charger was installed at home. Not tired of the car, I've loved that and driving it is brilliant since day one. But having to factor in another 40 mins to prep for a weekend or long road trip.

Having access to overnight charging is a game changer because you can leave it to do it's thing and start the day with a full 'tank'.

I think someone recommended perhaps renting one to see how it would work out for you. That's a pretty good idea - UFO Drive are useful for that, they've a few spots that you can pick up a car in Dublin, and a referral thread over in the bargain alerts board - or some people have been able to set up a longer test drive (over a weekend or so). That might be useful, but won't give you a feel for your work / commute or normal week.

Take everyone's advice, weigh it up and go with what works for you.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Advertisement

I haven’t tried that one, Jay. I didn’t know it was there but a glance at the PlugShare app says it’s an Easygo installation and should be open to the public. So there are two more apps you’ll need when you get the M3 - as Innrain mentioned PlugShare is a good app to see all chargers on a map, Easygo is necessary to use their chargers that are dotted around in Lidl car parks and other businesses. This is part of the frustration of public charging as there are multiple providers and they all have their own apps and RFID cards, you have to open separate accounts with them. Has to be done once so not an ongoing hassle but it’s a pity there isn’t some unified system.

Last Saturday we were in Blackrock, Co Louth for a family dinner. I plugged in at the ECars AC charger with 21% charge and it reached 100% while we ate. We drove back to Dublin on Sunday, I had two trips to Lucan this week and one to Deansgrange. The car still has 41% charge left so I probably won’t charge it again until next weekend. So as a low mileage EV owner public charging is usable. If I was under pressure to charge it a couple of times a week I might be less enthusiastic but it’s ok for me. Now if only the Council would consider local chargers in lampposts or on our streets, or if they would allow us free parking while charging it would make the process simpler. Time for another email….

It amazes me why home chargers on the street aren't a thing yet. Saying that, I know what the council is like. It takes them years to do anything.

Dublin City Council has decided against on street slow chargers. They produced a strategy document last year which concluded that 50 fast charging hubs in the city would be better than the estimated 4,000 on street chargers that will be needed as they’d be easier to install and manage. Their conclusions are here:

I’d prefer a 7kw charger nearby that I could park at for an afternoon or overnight once a week than a 100kw charger I have to queue for and retrieve my car from in 60 minutes but I can see their point. I get the feeling the local authorities don’t want a new headache and are hoping commercial providers will take up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Don't do it , Having to use public chargers is the biggest drawback , They're nearly all mickey mouse slow chargers or on the off chance you find a (fast Lol) 50w one there'll be some old dear who's just got their brand new EV and its their first time charging it .

That’s a great summary, Innrain. I didn’t appreciate the restrictions the lamp post connections and cabling impose but it starts to make sense that DCC isn’t inclined to install lamp post chargers given the scale of work involved. The section on running cables across paths also answers some of the questions on insurance and liability that have been raised here before. I’ll pass this on to my neighbours who are doing this very thing with an outdoor socket and granny cable as I think they are just hoping it’s ok. It’s a pity though - my car is parked just 2m of pavement from my front fence so to have that gap practically insurmountable is a real shame.

• Advertisement

Or read the previous comments explaining how it is doable and then decide….

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If your looking for chargers, instead of randomly driving around, try using one of the mapping services that allow you to filter by speed and connection type, it's a much more effective method than finding a random old woman driving a car you think is electric and hoping she's on her way to a charger.

Zap Map is the one I use https://www.zap-map.com/live/

Now this report is what I call a reactive report. Maybe is just me, as my job description is to find solutions to people's problems, but to me this report is just a big bag of excuses. Nothing proactive or actions in it. Just don't and won't

Before agreeing with them, consider that the City of Westminster has over 1.5k such charging points or Vienna 1.8k I've read somewhere that Amsterdam has over 4k. So technically is possible. DLRCoCo runs the largest (5?) pilot on 3 rock rd which is not a residential area !? Why? The skeptic in my says to control the results but let's not go there. The cost issue is thrown with average 10k per unit installed, from pilots with one unit in tests. Really? Averages work better on multiple samples. Just saying. Loot at the street view link. All charging points on 3 rock rd are in use. Isn't it great? Dublin Councils decided on their strategy though that AC charging is a no no, and they will install DC hubs.

The Department of Transport’s Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Strategy 2022-2025 considers neighbourhood EVCPs to be the main solution for those without access to private home charging. Due to the nature of the Dublin region (considerable space constraint in places) and Dublin’s aim to encourage a shift away from private car use in the city centre, the Dublin LA strategy considers a different priority, namely rapid hub charging will be prioritised over slow-fast neighbourhood chargers.

So finger for the gov as we're not going to do it. Amsterdam is not spaced constrained at all or it is not prioritizing cycling that's why they installed 4k charging points. Meanwhile new private car parks will have to provide 10% (?) of spaces with EV charging, otherwise no planing permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 theinferior

Or you could try asking the council to allow you to do this:

I wrote to the company and they are willing to install in Ireland, if you can get permission.

Also, at least one company has offered to install a pedestal charger for me with the cable going under the pavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's a UK site.

Maybe they're not familiar with the litigious nature of this country.

Somebody decides to trip on that cable and you're in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 theinferior

There is no cable to trip on, that's the point. That's what they do, they put it under the footpath and cover it all up so that there is no hazard.

I understand the concept but the cable (as in the above pic) is a trip hazard where it comes up to plug into the car.

I very much doubt you can legally do this in Ireland.

I really hope something like this can be installed,I have a townhouse and feel as a result I don't have the option of ever having a EV.

I don't see how it's any different than having a kerbside AC charging pillar with the cable connected to the car. I think people over play the litigious nature here.

There are plenty of solutions available for townhouses where the estate is still privately managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Infrequent minor inconveniences like finding a public charger are OK but don't think that relying on it for your motoring needs will be the same. You'll end up resenting the car. And you won't save anything on fuel.

You'd really have to love the Tesla to put up with that.

My resentment of Tesla is caused by the CEO not the car.

On price of charging versus fuel we are in an unusual situation where the cost of petrol and diesel have fallen but electricity prices remain much higher Than before. Temporary reductions to excise duty on petrol and diesel add to the differential. The government didn’t provide any tax incentives for car charging when they caved to pressure on fuel prices last year. So for comparison a quick calculation says the cost of motoring using ECars chargers is similar to diesel at the moment. A diesel using 5l/100km at €1.60 a litre will cost approximately 8c per km. a Model 3 using 15kwh/100km at 50c per kwh will cost around 7.5c per km. The EV saves more money on servicing, motor tax and road tolls. When I started using ECars last year they were charging just 20c/kWh so it’s not that long since public charging was significantly cheaper than ICE. Hopefully electricity prices will fall back in line with fuel and gas prices and the equation will lean more in the favour of the EV but at worst I think they are broadly equivalent now.

That's a brilliant solution. If it was me, I'd just put it in. If the council comes knocking just play dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Hadn’t seen that before, Occams Razor at its finest, that could solve a vast proportion of home charging obstacles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That looks pretty cool alright.

Can Imagine some messers having fun with it though

What is handy is that the wire can be removed. We need a solution and this is it.

Don't know about the OPs situation but mine is not privately managed,like hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in Ireland.

Your comment about the overplaying of the litigious nature of people in Ireland is easily contradicted by figures on same.

I can't be 100% sure but the example in the picture would not be legal in Ireland.

Good luck getting any council or relevant body to sign off and take responsibility for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement