Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer and trees...

Options
  • 21-04-2023 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

...the age old issue!

I planted 100 trees over the last couple of evenings. A mix of alder, mountain ash and silver birch to cover an area that had been overgrown with briars and rhodos which were mulched last year. Didn't cover or stake them, the cat keeps the area reasonably rabbit free.

We get deer wandering through our property the odd time. I know an 8 foot fence will keep them out...but I just don't like the thought or cost of an 8 foot fence. I could cover them with the plastic guards and big stakes, but I think they look ugly. I believe there are ultra sound and even scents and sprays, not sure if they're effective. A friend swears electric fencing is the most effective. Part of me thinks maybe I'll just see what happens, if they are chewed or pulled up I might replace them with eucalyptus which I believe are less tempting for deer. It's not the classic native look, but I'm in the temperate south west so we have a good few of them anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't plant a eucalyptus plantation, please! Apart from anything else, the damn things fall over.

Of the suggestions given the electric fence seems like the best idea, after the tree guards, and I agree they are ugly. The fence would have to be on the whole time though if you are not sure when the deer will be around, which is a waste.

I have rabbit proofed a good few young trees - nowhere near 100 though - with wire netting collars which seems to be working fine. One got caught in the mower and partially pulled off and in the short time it was off the bunnies had nibbled the stem. The only ones I have not netted is the silver birches, which would easily be the biggest number after hawthorn. The rabbits ignore them even though they are supposed to be a favourite snack, not a single nibble out of the birches or hawthorns. I also put in some hazels which they seem to be ignoring too, again I would have thought hazel would be popular for bunny lunch. Maybe they haven't found them yet.

Anyway, the wire netting is virtually invisible from a few yards away. Its surprising that manufacturers haven't come up with a small panel that would easily wrap around a tree, I haven't even bothered staking most of them. I can't imagine deer would bother trying to get their teeth through the netting? Which reminds me I have a young larch which had a nibble mark, must go and put a collar on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Dog ?

Was going to say Lynx or Wolf 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Thanks for all that.

Funnily enough, the house had 5 or 6 mature eucalyptus already, the previous owners had a lot of Asian trees and shrubs, so I've become used to them...but a lot of them together could look a bit out of place alright. But deer are supposed to dislike them.

The electric fence recommendation came with the advice to get solar power, not battery, and leave it on all the time.

Post edited by redseat1 on

Deer will rip the hell out of eucalyptus. Scattered some for a client in his plantation and they were left alsone for 3 years then the bark shredded.

Nothing wrong with a nicely thinned eucalyptus plantation.

The trick to stop then blowing over is to remove at least 1/2 of the current years growth each year for up to 4 years or until the tree has become windfirm. You must also keep the grass trampled around it. Growing eucalyptus in Ireland must not be compared to growing it in Southern Europe. We get lots of rain so any allelopathy becomes negligible. The tree also tends to raise the pH of soil be adding Ca in its leaf and bark litter and exudates; it will act over time as a net remover of water, and when it flowers offers 6 weeks or more of nectar and pollen to a multiplicity of insects. The loose bark offers shelter to insects, and treecreepers will hang about hunting these critters. Just make sure your eucalyptus is frost hardy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement