Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning woolen blankets

Options
  • 21-04-2023 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭

I think they are felted and I have had them for 30-50 years.

Now I think I may have bedbugs and need to wash all the bed linen etc.

What about these old blankets ?

Can I set the wash to a high temperature or will that damage them?

Will a low (cold) temperature work to disinfect them?

What about just airing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

I would wash in a bath by hand and allow to drip over bath until ready for line dry. Put out on a sunny day and UV light should finish off any bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes machine washing is very tricky -even at cold wash any spinning can harm them.

Still,washing in the bath can be problematic as I did my lower back in once like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Heat and friction will cause Felting and shrinking. Maybe soak in a disinfectant or borax solution and rinse in cool water and then spin.

Borax is sometimes used to treat wool which is used for insulation.

If you have a large enough freezer you could put it in for a week or two and then wash with cold water and spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Dust mites dont like hot and dry atmosphere so maybe leave in hot press for a while once dried.... good for pillows and soft toys of asthmatic kids not sure about other bugs?

Advertisement