Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone switched from Chrome to Edge/Bing because of ChatGPT?

• 21-04-2023 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭

There's a huge amount of hype around this at the moment, apparently Google are in "panic" and are in the process of rushing out their AI called "Bard".

I must admit, i gave it a try the other day (in Edge) and was totally underwhelmed, search results were no better than Chrome and took too long to come back.

There is no doubt ChatGPT is amazing for what it can do outside of being a website indexer, but as an internet link finder I dont really see what its bringing new to the table so I'm sticking with Chrome for now.

Don't know how to add a poll here but am really curious to hear others experiences and thoughts?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I used Edge and Bing already. Don't have any compelling reason to use ChatGPT apart from the novelty value. Bing gets me what I want 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

CHROME or Edge/Bing? Why not use both? I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I use Firefox and intend to keep doing so

From what I can see the only use for ChatGPT based AIs is for creating hilarious internet memes and encouraging people suffering from depression to commit suicide

It's got some uses I'm sure but frankly it seems extremely overhyped

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

@Supercell There's a huge amount of hype around this at the moment, apparently Google are in "panic" and are in the process of rushing out their AI called "Bard".

Not available for use in Ireland but access with VPN, unlike ChatGPT, no signup required, it uses your google account.

Bard AI now available for all, Google says do not get personal with it and know these rules before using it

In its terms and services, Google warns users to not get personal with Bard because the service collects your data. The company has listed some of the privacy rules that people should know about. Here are the details.

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for that, I just had a play around with Bard using NordVPN and must say i found it more snappy and less prone to errors than ChatGPT though the latter has presumably massively more load.

I asked it for stock recommendations, career advice etc and found its answers quite good and reasonable though unsurprising. Looking forward to seeing these getting better and better. I also asked it for the best and worst US presidents in the last 30 years, it gave me lists for both, top best was Clinton and worst was Trump, not bad!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

There is no "last" digit of pi. Pi is an irrational number, which means that its decimal expansion never ends or repeats. In other words, there is no finite number of digits that can be used to represent pi exactly.

However, we can calculate pi to any desired degree of accuracy. For example, the first 10 digits of pi are 3.1415926535. This means that pi is approximately equal to 3.1415926535. If we want to calculate pi to a higher degree of accuracy, we can use more digits. For example, the first 100 digits of pi are 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679. This means that pi is approximately equal to 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679.

As you can see, the more digits we use, the more accurate our approximation of pi becomes. However, there is no limit to how many digits we can use, and therefore there is no "last" digit of pi.

^^^ Compute to the last digit, the last value of Pi

A clever way to foil an evil ghost possessing your computer is to ask it compute all the digits of π. Spock did just that in a scene from the classic Star Trek episode Wolf in the Fold.

Must be save guards in the AI, to prevent them going into endless loop of doing the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Here's the thing, did the AI even bother to calculate the answer or did it just look it up?

I mean the way these AIs work is basically the computer equivalent of googling the answer and if you search for last digits of pi then you get very similar answers to the result you got

Obviously it's not like it's wrong, but I feel like the safeguard here was that the AI was too lazy to do any of the real work 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I haven't switched from Google to Bing and don't see the need yet. I have however been using ChatGPT for the last while, feeding it some text and asking it to make it read better while focusing on delivering a certain message. It's brilliant at that and wording text in a more professional looking way. If that's the only thing I ever use it for I am happy as I often struggle with that side of things.

Have also been using it to ask specific IT related questions and probing the answers in more depth. Think it is a great aid to learning certain things.

Just two things am currently using it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've been experimenting with using Edge over the last few months, having previously mostly using Chrome. I am distinctly underwhelmed - it assumes that everything you highlight that you want to search for it - using Bing. Bing as a search engine is often like an 1980s spellchecker trained on a limited vocabulary - all too often it inappropriately thinks that words with the same root have the same meaning.

If I am searching for something, I usually want the original, not some rehashed version that Bing chat is writing as I'm checking which is the actual search result that I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I see no use for chatGTP. I know it can be used for writers to write articles or check grammar . It's not always accurate .There's an old saying garbage in garbage out

I just use Google or bing search

I have heard no good reason to use edge instead of using Chrome or Firefox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭noahungry

Chrome started misbehaving lately so I might actually switch to another browser, also not related to ChatGPT. 

Advertisement