Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query with Rent deposit return

Options
  • 21-04-2023 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

just looking for some advice, we moved out of a property, and the final inspection was after we had handed over the keys. They're charging us for cleaning and replacing a lightbulb, even though all the lightbulbs were working except for a lamp that we never used (as it never had a lightbulb), but we're ok with this charge.

But the worst was they want to charge us 435 for replacing 3 freezer drawers and a fridge shelf, which I think is crazy. We accepted that we need to pay, even though the shelf was broken when we moved in, and those freezer drawers are notorious for cracking. But I've found replacements for everything direct for the manufacturer for 160. Can I request their invoice for replacing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

That sounds crazy honestly.

There will always be wear and tear. Yes ask them for an invoice or say you can replace them for 160.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sun2022

To my knowledge and someone better versed may come along, but I don’t think they can charge for totally new things wear and tear has to be accounted for and calculated with a formula relating to the age of the items and your tenancy time also, I think this is clarified on the rtb website. Did you notify them about the lightbulb at the start? Just they shouldn’t be charging for that either. Cleaning is very subjective, our place wants a receipt from a cleaning company when we do eventually leave. We had cracked drawers on arrival in our freezer so I took photos, I won’t be paying for brand new ones but our place was a disgrace when we moved in, took it in desperation 😂 I think they are cheeky and trying to rip you off.

The charge for the fridge freezer shelves is ridiculous. You could get a whole brand new fridge freezer for less than €435.

Currys have some for as little as €249.

Unless its a Miele or something the landlord is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Thanks, yeah it's ridiculous. But not surprising from the rental agency. I'll email them asking for invoice, and if they can provide one I'll log a dispute with the rtb.

Never notified them about the lightbulb, as we never intended on using the lamp. And didn't think we have to list a missing lightbulb, as if they're charging us for it now, did they also charge the previous tenant and never put one in.

Had we been allowed attend the final inspection, I definitely would've bought the drawers myself, and done the small bit of cleaning that they found.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A lightbulb is a consumable , they’ll them to take a hike

you broke the freezer, uou should have replaced the drawers. You moved out. To late to replace them. How old is the freezer? Take into account depreciation over 8 years and get its present value it should be €435

• Advertisement
Advertisement