Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a German import, within Ireland

Options
  • 21-04-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What paperwork do I need to VRT an import in Ireland?

I'm looking at purchasing a German import off a seller based in Longford (he has lots of ads on Donedeal/Marketplace!) and I've never done this before, with a bike anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tell them you'll buy it if they clear it first. Why take on someone else's mess?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Longford you say?

Say no more.

I'd want to be very convinced the bike I'm buying is as good as the bike I am led to believe is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Does this seller have a reputation? They look pretty clean, in any pictures I've looked at.

The bike I'm looking at is a cheap starter bike - I've been told the clutch is noisy and it hasn't been tested (TUV?) in a while.

Yes he has a reputation.

Some happy customers and some not so happy.

Unless you know what you're looking at and can see it with your own two eyes.

What might seem cheap now could end up costly in the long run.

I've bought bikes in the past without seeing them but I wouldn't in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's a VRT penalty from when the vehicle is imported to when it's sold, unless you're buying from a dealer with a TAN then you'll get hit with the VRT penalty when you register. Don't buy unless it's on Irish plates or the dealer is going to register it when you buy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like I said. If you want to import a bike yourself then that's one thing, and you do it with your eyes open. If someone else has imported a bike and wants to sell it, but doesn't have the papers in order, then they're a twat to be avoided at all costs.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

The title of the post is "Buying a German import, within Ireland" and the seller is in Longford, if the bike isn't in the country then the OP has the wrong title.

So little of everything.

I'd be surprised if it was though but I'm only trying to piece together the full picture from the info given.

Op, would be better off stating what purpose they want a bike for and their budget and someone on here might find a nice bike for them

Thanks for the responses. The bike is in the country, in Longford region.

It is intended for my better half, as a cheap learner bike - I was looking at a GS500 and CB500, both around the €1.6k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Do you know for sure the bike is in the country, or are you just going by the ad? Be aware you will have no comebacks if something goes wrong. Hes hardly going to take it back after you've registered it in Ireland..... A skeptic might say this is a handy way to avoid Dealer responsibilities when the **** hits the fan.......

I wouldn't purchase without looking it over, I don't think I've ever handed over any large amount of money without seeing the vehicle first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

"Clutch is noisy and no recent TUV"

Why would you even consider such a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

If you do proceed towards viewing or purchasing from this gentleman, would you please keep us informed on how he operates. I'm sure a lot of us would like to know if everything is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I bought a bike a couple years ago from Ryszard, took a chance and it worked out very well. Bike was as described, communication was decent throughout the process. All paper work to register it was in order. I'd use him again

I can replace the clutch if needed. I've a 23 year old bike that has a noisy clutch but drives fine at the moment, it won't bother me until there's an issue in getting it to move!

We don't have an NCT for bikes in Ireland, I'm not going to be put off by lack of a TUV. Caveat emptor and all that!

The VRT penalty would be the bigger issue than the lack of TuV. When was the bike brought into the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Seeing as somebody has already mentioned the Seller's Name (Ryszard), you can be assured that this bike (or any other bike he is currently advertising) is not in Ireland.

Some of his stuff is decent, a few Bikes are a bit more "worn" than advertised. The Son has bought two Bikes from him....one last year, and another in 2021. Both were late '80's VFR's and both were pretty much as described. A couple of minor adjustments, etc needed on one, but overall he was happy with both Bikes and the prices he paid. He kept one and sold the other....only because all Bike and Car prices were going through the roof and he got 2.6k for a Bike that cost him 1.7k all in.

BTW, he does give a copy of the Ferry receipt. Even though he normally has a few bikes brought over together by van, he has them listed as cargo and the original Reg numbers (matching the EU Log Book) are on the Ferry invoice. This seems to be enough to satisfy the VRT office.

I'd be wary of any Bikes he does have in this Country. These would usually be something he brought in for somebody and then couldn't get it running or similar. The issue would be sorted when he re-advertises it....but you never know how good the repair was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Another satisfied customer here - well, so far!

After an initial trip up to inspect a few bikes he was advertising, went back for a 2002 CB600 imported from the Netherlands. Just paid the VRT today and yes, the documentation all passed muster. Been driving the bike for about a week and haven't yet spotted anything major that would concern me. But the old Hornets are pretty bulletproof, and the one I got has low miles, so fingers crossed...

To be fair, I had no issues at all dealing with him - prompt, good comms, very organised - and the bikes I saw all looked very clean & straight. Certainly my own is in better nick than I reckon it would be after 20 years on Irish roads.

Advertisement