Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to know is walls were skimmed?

Options
  • 21-04-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Is there a scenario where an internal wall can be sand + cement coated and then not skimmed to finish? What would be the signs?

Roof is plasterboard, so they would have 100% skimmed that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

Would they have definitely skimmed the ceiling? Yes but..... in some places (America for example) it's actually common to just tape and joint the plasterboard and then paint. I've never seen that here but I'm sure the odd person on a tight budget has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Only really in a garage or other outhouse.

You can have a sand-cement wall which has a "tight skim" on it, that could be a very quick couple of mm of plaster applied to it just to clean up it's appearance. It will appear rougher and less flat than a fully skimmed wall with two skim coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some older houses in rural areas partic. just had/have a sand/cement plaster on interior. More granular texture and not flat & even as a skimmed wall.

The great thing about plastering & rendering is a that a good tradesman can cover up/ tidy a whole heap of crap construction underneath. It's like magic and no guarantee of overall quality. I've seen some really shoddy work during construction, but look at the houses after in amazement. You'd never suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Thanks. Seems like it was skimmed. It is just total shite job. Maybe I'll pay for reskim someday.

What we talking per m2 wall reskim?

• Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In terms of plasterboard, tape and joint would be very common, probably the norm. I'd be surprised if any house gets skimmed these days outside of self-builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the walls were not skimmed and just rendered. You would se the render texture. Like how an external wall is rendered.

The ceiling doesn't need to be skimmed.

Tape and joint is pretty common If the installer is good it it can be a better finish than many attempts at skimming.

Advertisement