Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading from kaby lake i5 1080ti

Options
  • 22-04-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey folks, submitting final college paper Monday and day dreaming about updating my hardware as a reward to my self.

Currently running an i5 7600k with 32gb DD4 Ram and a 1080ti. Have a 650watt PSU thats about 6 years old at this stage so thinking I might need to change it out?

Other than that I'm happy with my case and hard drives, though I will grab the latest m.2 standard drive as my root while keeping my current drives.

What I can't decide on is weather to go intel12/13gen or AMD 4/5. Given the state of the GPU market, I can't decide if the 1080ti is worth replacing. My college course is in data science which is firmly in bed with Nvidia so not sure if AMD is an option for me. Though to be honest I'm not sure I need a desktop GPU for data science anymore what with the cloud solutions available.

Other than data science I'm going to be using the machine for gaming - I'm mainly a fan of single player FPS/action adventure/RPG type games (Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Red Dead 2 being the last 3 I really enjoyed).

I've set a budget of about 600 for the CPU, Mobo and RAM (I'd like to stick with 32GB). I figure if I need to I can strech to the same for the GPU (maybe a bit more if I need to).

I'm looking for a CPU to do me as long as my i5 has and welcome all opinions on what to get next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd be inclined to leave the GPU alone for now since it's decently fast and has 11GB VRAM (?) and push the boat out on the CPU to upgrade to AM5-based 7800X3D.

You'll be GPU bound anyway, but with the longevity of the AM5 platform you might get 6 years out of it.

When there's a reasonably priced 16GB Nvidia option (maybe next gen, i.e. 5000 series, maybe 5070) do the upgrade to that (and a new PSU) for the DLSS which will suit single-player eye candy.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lp1TGFvKc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z99F78

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (£299.00 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A35 CPU Cooler (£29.95 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£110.99 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£63.95 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £503.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-22 16:18 BST+0100

OR

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CYJRDq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£234.05 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A35 CPU Cooler (£29.95 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M DS3H Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (£174.98 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £538.96

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-22 16:21 BST+0100

Neither is a bad option.

The 7600X should be set to 65W in BIOS to lower temps/power use.

Are you gaming at 1080p? If so, your GPU is fine for another while yet. A 3060Ti might be a decent upgrade path, but I actually think you'd be better off continue to save until you can get a 3080/3090 or 5000 series.

What is your current MOBO? I'm a fan of the ASRock motherboards, in terms of CPU it really comes down to AMD/Intel and what you prefer - I swapped over to Intel recently and don't overclock so went with a i5 12th gen, delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

1440p - I think I've settled on the AM5 platform, probably one of the non X chips. The performance per watt for what I need doesn't seem to justify the X versions (and rules out intel).

Reckon I'm going to stick to my 1080 for now, and wait for the GPU implosion to come (it'll have to casue at these prices PC gaming is very much trailing consoles)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Keeping the GPU is a good choice, invest everything else in the core of your new system.

1080Ti is still no slouch. Probably comparable to a 3060 non-Ti, although without DLSS and RTX. It'll keep you going another while without any issues with a few reduced settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah I'm still using a 1080ti 🤣 best GPU decision I ever made.

Advertisement