Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Leisure National Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

"Leisure cyclists account for a major part of the Cycling Ireland membership"

The cynic in me would say it's trying to reduce the churn in leisure numbers, which is at a very high percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm pretty sure the Tour de Lough Derg was already an event. I don't know about the rest of them, but if they were too, I'm not sure what Cycling Ireland are adding to the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tour of cuilcagh definitely was an event previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

Will it still cost a non member of CI €20 on top of the sportif entry fee to enter one of these I wonder?

At this stage I don't see any point to a Leisure National Series. There's nothing in that press release that makes entering one of them in any way attractive to me. I am a member of a cycling club and I do support local sportives, but this just seems pointless to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It will do things that might not be of benefit to the typical sportive/charity spin rider. It will give some people something to aim for, no different than the Audax ROTY or SR series. It doesn't technically add anything but it gives you something to aim for. You will have some people now make this there aim for the year, in reality it should have been announced way earlier so people who are just starting could train a bit more but all are doable with minimal training. Not much different in a way to my club league, we get points for turning up, this doesn't help or add anything technically but it does encourage off the back riders like myself to turn up each week and get to a reasonable place on the table. Doesn't interfere with the top but keeps me motivated to turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I thought that initially, but it seems that all of the events listed were already events. I suppose that it might help advertise it to a wider audience similar to events like the Great Ireland and Limerick runs.

However, I don't think I'm any more likely to do these events because of Cycling Ireland's involvement, and definitely not if it means having to buy a membership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm not sure why leisure riders need an national organisation to provide events or enhance their riding.

Cycling Ireland could fill a gap around representing commuters, bike lane design, cycling tourism especially touring routes but they mainly don't.

I've done maybe 20-30 sportive over the years and aside from the big event feel/buzz the best of them would only have average routes. Most I wouldn't dream of riding solo. I'd say my last one was 2016

My local group most weekends ride local routes (and occasionally head off to other locations for routes) which are leagues ahead of typical sportive.

Cycling Ireland is a sporting organisation not a commuter organisation, until members mandate them to change that position then they will not fill that role. This national series type thing for leisure riders is simply because of the number of members who are leisure and not sporting in the competitive meaning.

I realise many here won't be attracted to it because of the "series" element to it but the An Post tour series was a huge success and I imagine this is an attempt possibly to emulate that as well as show that they do include leisure riders in their activities.

Just a thought. I also realise that these events existed before but this might encourage uptake from further afield, increase advertising for the organisers etc. Best of luck to them, I won't be doing it but I am not a leisure/sportif rider but this might help that part of the organisation so let them try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"The 2020-2024 strategic plan sets forth the sports ambition from grass roots to elite level and encompasses cycling in all its forms. From road and off-road to track and BMX, from competitive and leisure to cycling as a form of transport, all under the guidance of Cycling Ireland."

https://www.cyclingireland.ie/news-item/cycling-ireland-commuter-membership-2023-/

You might want to tell them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm really amused at the notion that CI might be organising an event, seeing as they can hardly organise themselves to answer an email......

To be fair, there are some efficent and decent people in there, the job is to make cantact with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 shaymouse

The numbers doing the Great Dublin Bike Ride have decreased, not only last year, but pre-covid as well. Poor route, and too expensive. It will be interesting to see if there is any change this year

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agreed, sent a grading query off two weeks ago with 3 update requests since & yet still no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

A national leisure cycling series? Great idea. So how does a club or event promoter get on the CI gravy train here? Any criteria for inclusion mentioned? Any correspondence from the CI Leisure commission? Speaking of which, what do they do? In fairness, the commissions are volunteers but the ongoing poor standard- or lack of-- communication with the membership from on high is building cynicism and disinterest and if this 'series' gets anything other than a few xtra likes 👍on Facetube, I'll be gobsmacked. If the chosen events get a cash/entry fee boost, more luck to them-- next year CI might advertise/launch the series with relevant credentials for interested parties/clubs who might like to get on board. Pigs might fly too

Barely a page in the document, the truth is that the number of members influences our weight for grants. Every high level sports organisation does it because it is an important factor when looking for funding. It is still the sports federation for cycling in Ireland and a strategic plan is just that, they need it to tick boxes and also there is a benefit to it. Come along to a few of the AGMs and see how much time commuter cyclists get, even the leisure commission has nothing to do with commuters AFAIK. It is not unique to CI, every large sports organisation does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Gravy train... come along to a Cycling Munster or Cycling Ireland AGM and see what it's like for the leisure cycling side of the organisation to get support, let alone equity. The dedication and untold patience the members of the leisure comission must have to stay in their roles in spite of the organisation they have to exist within is amazing.

If there's a gravy train (there is) it makes no stop in noncompetition-cycling-land.

there was event support funding which closed on 11th December 2022.

covered any event type.

I see - in fact I might have a vague recollection of that idea. So that might have been the way to express interest in any such 'series' or whatnot. I think there was a similar scenario for a 'time trial series' which lasted 1 year if I remember. It was announced on facebook one day, even before the actual official calendar was released. Then it disappears - can't remember if there was an update on that either. Again, arseways communication and no apparent consultation with clubs who run these events but not unlike the leisure commission members, perhaps I'm just whistling in the wind here at times.

Hey Che, Ive been to CI AGM's for many years. I voted in support of Helen Kerrane's well-worded proposal in Tralee 2 years ago. I get what such a commission is trying to achieve. This whole probelm is about poor communication and a lack of respect for members, competitive and non-competitive alike, and the back-of-an-envelope/word-in-yer-man's-ear style that characterises the sport in the country still.

oh I would totally agree with the lack of comms. it's why I put the original post up as it seemed to come out of the blue. having been involved for 10 years (which ran last Saturday with 300 entries) I do wonder what the leisure committee is trying to promote.

Advertisement