Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Prune this Branch?

Options
  • 24-04-2023 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

This is a Horse Chestnut tree that was planted in 2004.

Here it is with the camera facing south west into prevailing wind.

Camera facing south. As you can see here, there's a second big branch coming out of this too.

Facing north (can't really see as much of the branch here)

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not really seeing any problem but if you feel it would in some way be/look better without it then yes prune it off. I have a very low branching Horse Chestnut that I cut several large branches off and made it more of a tree than a large bush, and absolutely no problem. It is in the middle of the garden and will really get too big for where it is, but it can continue for a while.

When you cut it go back to the trunk and find the 'collar' where it comes out of the trunk and cut it just immediately outside the collar - leave the collar but not a length of branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't see much issue either. If you think one or two of the secondary branches coming from the underside of the main one are too low take them off first, then stand back and have another look at it. Removing these will cause the main one to spring up a bit anyway.

Advertisement