Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Golf Hybrid

• 24-04-2023 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Its GTE, what they like and at this age do batteries give problems,

Are they worth buying and are they much more economical than the golf tdi 1.6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Plenty info here from the UK

https://www.speakev.com/forums/vw-golf-GTE/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

Thanks and some good advice on there

I wont be buying as very expensive to fix if things go wrong and you need them under warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,681 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Think thats true of all modern cars. Even pure EVs.

Comparing Hybrids vs Diesel is a conversation about how you use the car. No one can answer that for you without knowing your usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve had 3 of them out of warranty with no issues. All had over 100k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Probably true with all Hybrids and especially PHEV’s. Drivetrain has double the no. of components to go wrong compared to a BEV or ICE car. I’d agree though that one out of warranty could be tricky if you were unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

that would imply you didn’t keep them ling enough to have problems

Well it was launched in 2015. So that’s 8 years ago. if he has had 3, he has each for less than 3 years.

the older the car the more problems. His cars were still young

They all had over 100k.

If I had a 6 month old car and done 500k in it. Is it sill young?

How have you came to the conclusion that they are unreliable?

Its a 1.4 TSI with a DSG gearbox. Just keep the engine & gearbox serviced and you’ll be fine. And the battery and electric motor have warranty until something like 100k miles

• Advertisement

I haven’t, at least it wasn’t my intent too.

i meant that having 3 in a short duration wouldn’t be a good representation as they are gone before a problem may arise but

Apologies, I thought you were the OP, who suggested that they are unreliable. (Your profile photos look the same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

Well reading that other forum, if something does go wrong it's a big bill either way, best to stick to one with warranty, I'm even thinking now of going for a kia etc for the longer warranty,

Nothing on the Golf that every other car won't have as well.

This really isn't a thread about a car. It's a thread about warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭eltoastero

Had a Golf GTE that was bought when it was 3 years + 1 month old (i.e. past normal VW warranty) with 96k km on it. Clearly used as a tax dodge in the UK and used for motorway driving, this gave me confidence that battery was probably rarely charged to full and discharged to empty (i.e. in slightly better health).

I kept it for 3 years (so we're now 6 years into the 8 year battery warranty), not a single issue with the car. Full service schedule was completed, I kept on top of the DSG service (doing it a bit early) - nothing to suggest it would ever give trouble if well looked after.

It was an excellent car to drive and a huge amount more enjoyable that a 1.6tdi golf equivalent (I've driven both for long periods).

Buying a GTE with at least a couple of year of the battery warranty left, with all the service items have been completed, felt like a safe enough bet to me. I don't know if I'd be keen to buy one that had passed the 8 years or 160k km battery warranty (but, had my circumstance not changed I guarantee I'd still be driving that GTE now even though it would be hitting 8 years old with with 120k+ km, as I'd know the car well maintained and less likely to give any more trouble than any other 8 year old car)

Advertisement