Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licensee agreement

Options
  • 24-04-2023 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

hello, what to write in a rental agreement for a room in an owner occupied house?

does one need to register with RTB for renting a room in their own house?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a licensee doesnt need a licensee agreement. Its not the same as a tennant. You dont need to register with RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You don’t need a rental agreement and it’s not a tenancy so no need to register

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hello2020

thanks a lot for getting back on this.. so we can just have a verbal agreement or should we write down the conditions for rent advance , notice to leave & house rules etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You can write them down if you want, or you can tell the renter verbally, if they break the rules, kick them out, they are guests in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you are renting a room in your home I would not be giving any agreement in writing because you don't need to. You can make a verbal agreement and be very clear on the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

You can give a written agreement if you want. On the face of it that is a good way to do it. BUT..... it would actually be a cuter move to not have it, because it would be something a licencee will hold over you in a dispute. If you just have a verbal deal you have more flexibility.

Anyway, it is a licenceee arrangement. You can fúck the tenant out on their ear at a moment's notice for any or no reason. You could not like the way they chew their cornflakes at the table, and that would be reason enough to kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You can't kick out a lodger except in very rare circumstances. You can only use force if it is reasonable to do so which it almost never is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭dennyk

You really should put something in writing so that there's a clear record of the agreement between you and your lodger. Assuming you aren't planning to screw over your lodger, it's to your advantage as well as theirs to have a clear written agreement in place outlining the terms of the license agreement (e.g. the deposit amount, the rent, how and when it should be paid, how shared bills will be handled, the house rules, and ideally some reasonable notice period for termination by either party). If there is ever a dispute or your lodger violates the terms, being able to point to a written agreement will be to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can ask them to leave with "reasonable notice". In the case of a serious issue reasonable could be less than 24 hours.

As others have said here, don't do a written agreement OP. There's a risk that doing so could contract away your rights

Asking them to leave is one thing, kicking them is another. If they refuse to leave reasonable force can be used. It is unlikely kicking would be considered reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭dennyk

Guess maybe English isn't your first language, but "kicking someone out" is just an idiom; it doesn't (usually) mean literally punting them out the front door like an oversized football.

Don't assume nationality or language proficiency. CH may be autistic. It is prevalent on these fora.

Anyway, yeah kicking out is not literal usually. Circumstances that would justify a physically force expulsion of a licencee would be rare. It would have to be that no other reasonable method is workable. An example would be if the licencee was aggressive and the owner had a legitimate and immediate fear for his/her safety or the safety of others in the house, or was genuinely fearful that the licencee was about to do serious damage to the house - eg they were threatening to trash the place or burn it down. It would have to be a situation that would warrant the Gardai, and ideally the Gardai should be called before, during or as soon as is possible after the act of kicking out.

You could only use such force as is necessary and proportionate to the situation.

If a deranged licencee was making a believable threat to harm you, or another in the house, or burn the house, you would be entitled to take proportionate defensive steps to man-handle them out the door, and possibly restrain them if necessary until the gardai arrive. However, you would not be entitled to go on the offensive and kick seven colours of shíte out of them on the footpath outside once you got them out - even if they deserved it. That would be going beyond a proportionate use of force.

You could not physically force remove a licenceee from the house because you "had it up to here" with them, or you just had enough of their shíte, nomatter how unreasonable it is.

Fro

From the Oxford dictionary

1. strike or propel forcibly with the foot.
    2. "I kicked the ball up into the air"
    3. Similar:
    4. boot

5. punt

6. strike with the foot
    7. propel

8. drive

9. knock

10. send

11. blooter

12. put the boot into

13. welly

1. 2.
    2. INFORMAL
    3. succeed in giving up (a habit or addiction).
    4. "smokers may soon have new help to kick the habit"

Kick means what it means.

How do you converse on any meaningful level if you can't distinguish between a literal meaning and an idiom? It is Spock-like, I don't mean you are a Vulcan, merely that he can't distinguish that words are not always to be taken literally.

For clarity, I wasn't advocating physically booting the renter in the backside, I was saying that they could be ejected from the owners house as they have no tenancy rights. God, there's a sentence I never thought I'd have to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm hoping I get a rundown of what the literal meaning of ejected is now 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- quit it. Next one who tries to give an English lesson will get a short posting holiday from the forum.

Look man, if you have Aspergers or whatever, then fair enough sorry for your troubles. But otherwise, get off your your high horse.

*** "high horse" is also an idiom by the way. I am not suggesting you are up on a horse of 15+ hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not a linguistics forum

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies. New tenant/ licencee want to have rent receipt as below. Is this okay to give?

I, xxx [passport number] accept 000 cash today dd/mm/yy as €00 for rental deposit and €00 as first months rent for the room rental of xxxc, Dublin for xxx xx [passport number]

Rental start date:

Date of return of deposit:

I sincerely hope that the passport number is theirs, not yours, and even with that, I wouldn’t want to be retaining that type of data on a licensee.

Just hand them a rent book, you can buy them in stationary shops and sign it each month when they pay.

thanks that's a fair point.. they proposed this format to have their and our passport no.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PFunked

Hi,

My Dad is living in my wifes house and we live in my house. So my wifes house is my Dads sole residency now as he sold his house.

So about 4 years ago we all decided to rent out a room in my now dads house/sole residency, now my dad wants this person out of the house(long story)

He ask the person to vacate the property and gave 2 Months notice. This person when to the RTB claiming they are a tenant and open a dispute,

My wife and I collect the rent and deal with all my dads affairs, bills, insurance, LPT etc on his behalf as he elderly

My question is this person a tenant or licensee and what way will the RTB see this person as ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As your wife doesn't live there they can't be a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

if they lived with your Dad for the 4 years they would have been a lodger. Once your Dad moved out they then become a tenant after 6 months.

If that person is the only one in the property and your Dad is not staying there or using one of the rooms most of then time you have a tenant and they have rights.

They have to wait 6 months and they have right as a tenant after your Dad moved out. After 6 months you have to give notice but for only certain reasons e.g. your dad moving back for sole use, you or siblings and certain members of your family will be moving in and they have to leave, you are selling or extensive refurbishment.. Check rtb for the rules as you have to have a signed legal declaration.

If they are becoming a problem such as anti social behaviour you can give a shorter notice but you have to register the tenancy, if no payment of rent you have to follow the rtb protocol.

If you have sold your fathers house you should have to given the tenant notice. Your solicitor and your auctioneer should have discussed this with you. Do you have sale agreed? Then give your tenant notice now and send a copy toRTB. You may have to wait for the tenant to leave. Hope your buyer can wait.

This is an interesting situation, is your dad considered a close family member of the owner, your wife? If the renter was renting a shared property with your dad or child, and you owned it, they would be a licensee, but how that pans out with your dad in your wife’s house is a quandary.

Best you can do is ask the RTB, or let us know how the RTB view the renter’s dispute, it’s an unusual twist in a license arrangement.

• Advertisement

Who does the renter pay the rent to?

Advertisement