Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi 4.0 €200 tax

• 24-04-2023 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Spotted an Audi 4.0 badged car guessing it was an S8 but actually didn't check the exact model. Checked the tax it was €200. Wondering how this is possible. It's hardly that low in emissions. There is a 200 flat rate for commercial/ Agri vans is this done kind of scam the owner is doing as when I look at 4.0s on Donedeal tax is considerably higher.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was probably 40 TDI, not 4.0 That is still a 2.0 litre engine with the 40 being related to the power output.

That is the new silly badging system that Audi has been using the last 5 or 6 years:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/audi/news/3742/what-do-audis-new-engine-badges-mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s a 2 litre engine. The 4.0 means something to do with the hp under certain conditions I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Ah that makes sense, and also no sense on the part of Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its marketing and to be honest, its very effective.

The only cars I can think of that the numbers ever translated to engine size are BMW back in the day (316i was a 1.6 and a 320i was a 2.0, 530d was a 3.0) but that wasn't to be relied on since the early 200s since when the 316i and the 318i were both 1.9 engines and the 320i was a 2.2 all of a sudden. I had a 523i and a 525i which were both 2.5 in different stages of tune of the same engine. Rover was the other one for a while, their 214i/216i etc but they are long gone now at this stage. Probably some others I cant remember.

Makes huge sense for Audi to be fair to them, they can justify the jump in price from a 30 to a 35 to a 40 to a 45 to a 50 to a 55 by making them almost standalone models within the same range.

You'll see it here plenty on boards, posters saying I'm looking at an etron 50 and others saying no, go for a 55 because of the better performance and longer range, so the 50 and 55 are seen as different beasts altogether. I am sure this translates into upselling in the dealerships too. We have lads trading in i4 40 for m50 here too as its seen as much better, and somewhat different car.

BMW have jumped on it now too, theres the i4 40 and the m50. In their bigger cars theres going to be a 40/50 and an m60, m70

Mercedes have the eqe300 and 350.

Not an engine among them.

Advertisement