Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of steri-strips?

Options
  • 24-04-2023 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I recently had keyhole surgery. I was told I could remove the big bandages after 48 hours, which I have done. I was also told I could then either remove the dressings myself on day 7, or have them removed on my follow up appointment on day 8. I'd like to remove them myself as I just know I'd be more careful. (I'm not a just rip the plaster off kind of girl) No one mentioned the steri-strips underneath though. Would it be usual to remove them yourself, or do they fall off over time? I don't think I've ever had them before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

I left them beyond day 8 as was too screamish to see what was underneath. Took them off on day 11 or so(can't remember exactly) and it looked way better that I anticipated. I know this reply is way late now.. when did you take them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Had keyhole myself recently (protectomy) and the Steri strips fell off after showering after a few daysand the wounds themselves closed after a week or so , once there's no sign of infection you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I ended up leaving the steri strips on until I saw the surgeon. Regretted that decision when he yanked them off and I started bleeding! Will be removing myself in future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks for update, can't do medical advice here tbh I've just seen steri strips as mini plasters

Advertisement