Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways of living you never want to go back to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You also said you use it while 'walking around'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

if you can hear what youre listening to on a speaker in any way clearly its not that different

and you can get earphones with transparency mode

or just use a single one

its just common courtesy to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Trying to get by in education without drawing attention to the fact that I'm not participating in the religious pageantry. Hoping nobody notices that I didn't mutter a prayer and bless myself at the start of staff meeting - that's right, staff meetings! - and drying to avoid having to explain why nobody saw me going up for communion at graduation masses.

thankfully my current school is much less immersed in 1950's catholic mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I'll also add my voice to the chorus regarding housesharing. I enjoyed most of my houseshares but I would take to sleeping under a tree in the woods before I'd go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Dial up internet.....

Having to take a half day off work to stand in a queue in the local tax office to tax your car......

Browsing through the buy and sell paper edition looking at a potential car to buy with no pictures....

2 channel tv....

Offering each other the sign of peace at mass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Having to take a half day off work to stand in a queue in the local tax office to tax your car......

This

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It's hilarious how bent out of shape some of yizz are getting about this. I'm gonna do what I'm going to do. I don't play it excessively loud, I turn it off when going in to shop and if some is passing me and hears a few bars of music for a few seconds, good for them. The alternative is cars and trucks, police sirens and traffic lights telling you if you can cross or not.

I often hear hear cyclists and pedestrians play music from speakers as they pass me and not once has it ever irked me. Usually I try to see if I know what the music is. Mostly my attitude is 'Good for them, rock on'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bone conduction setups aren't audible to anyone else and don't block/cover your ears

'I'm gonna do what I'm going to do.' thats a great attitude to have

'The alternative is cars and trucks, police sirens and traffic lights telling you if you can cross or not.' those are all very important things to be able to hear, so the rest of us would prefer to be able to hear them rather than whatever youre playing (not to mention, you previously said that headphones were dangerous to cycling........)

• Advertisement

Hahahaha, what a terrible argument. There is not a snowball's change that my funky little JBL clip on speaker is drowning out a police siren or traffic noise. You might want to go back to secondary level science class and learn a bit more about the physics of sound waves. Good luck.

If my speaker breaks maybe I'll look into this. But for now, the speaker is doing a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its a dickhead thing to do, without exception. People who do it are a blight on the streets, every single other person in the vicinity wishes they would stop being such needy little attention seekers and just get a pair of damn headphones like everybody else.

But you do you.

It's really not a dickhead thing to do when 1% or less of time I'm listening to my speaker is spent in the listening vicinity of someone else. Absolutely nothing to do with seeking attention. Quite the opposite. I much prefer quieter areas, away from people.

Since you're hell bent on trying to tell me what to do, maybe I can offer some advice: Take a chill pill bro. It's not good for you're heart to be so stressed all the time.

thens whats the point? you are arguing against yourself here

'if some is passing me and hears a few bars of music for a few seconds, good for them. The alternative is cars and trucks, police sirens and traffic lights telling you if you can cross or not' - which is it.

also, its not just people passing you, someone could be cycling/walking behind you for any length of time for one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

The older I get, I find there are ways of living from the past that I'd love to go back experiencing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sorry, can't hear you over the noise of some self important clown playing music out of speakers. I'll try again when he moves on.

Facepalm of doom man, you're fighting a losing battle. Take your tail, place it betwixt thine legs and toddle on. Cheerio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This thread is an interesting angle.

But it demonstrates something even more interesting. The challenge of changing the habits of the western world concerning travel, diet and consumption in general, vis-a-vis climate change demands.

What it demonstrates, is that no human wants to go back. In any way. Ever.

You can't de-innovate. You can't de-evolve.

The answer to 'ways of living you never want to go back to', is always 'all of them before today'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

3.5 hours spent commuting a grand total of 52km a day. **** me. I dont know how i did it. I will never ever go back to working in dublin city centre. I'll go on the dole first.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Working days: There's a calmness to working nights. It's great that most of the country is asleep so I don't have to deal with them.

Working Mon-Fri/9-5: I have a 6 week rota with a rostered week off included. I know what I'm working in 2030 if I'm still with them doing this. I work 4 nights in a row once in those 6 weeks (2 hours shorter per shift, followed by the week off) and work no more than 3 nights in a row otherwise. It's awesome.

Being social: This was a factor in my anxiety, and becoming unsocial has made me happier. It was draining trying to be social, trying to pretend to be interested in the same crap people gossip about. Now I do what I like most the time and feel like I'm living a better life. It's a short life and I've already wasted enough trying to be what other people want me to be.

Alcohol: While I did visit the demon recently, and will be doing so again twice more this year (stag and wedding), I have loved being "sober" for the 6+ years before it. Alcohol is a poison. My body and mind are thankful. I look forward to no more weddings. See above point to see how to avoid. This wedding may not even have happened if they didn't have an unexpected child a couple years ago. Happy for them though.

Sharing with anyone: I have lived by myself for a lot of my adult life up to a point. And while I'm currently living with my mother (and my father up to a few months ago), I never want to share with anyone after that. My mother is a gem, and I love her and don't count her in this situation. I love my own company, but I love my mammy more. After that, people can get da f. Although, the door will always be open for my siblings to come "home" if they ever need to. Just hope they don't.

Being beardless: Never again. My beard is my life. I got more compliments in the first few years of growing my beard than I had in the 30 before it. While it hasn't grown to the length I'd prefer (long enough to hide stuff/make a weapon out of), it's still my beard and I'm proud of it. Shaving sucks and I'll never do it again. Even if I somehow lose my mind and cut the beard, I will never be clean shaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

After discovering the joys of having a decent laptop with an SSD drive I will never ever EVER again buy one with a standard hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Living in a town with no skatepark. Honest to god, it is beyond the comprehension of 90% of people in this country that there are folks out there who are not into GAH and soccer. One small patch of concrete that didn't cost that much in the greater scheme of things has brought so much joy to kids and adults and it took 15 years of fighting the council to convince them that there was a demand for it.

Also, this is a nice and interesting thread, can ye stop arguing about the speaker, just live and let live. Shouting into a bucket on a forum isn't going to change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, it's interesting. I loved living in a shared house but wouldn't do it now! I liked working in an office but wouldn't do it now! It's like the person who gets made redundant and is very bitter about it. A year later it's "the best thing that happened, they did me a favour" I guess it's a decent enough positive survival instinct.

As for the people complaining about a small speaker on someone walking or cycling by? If that's bothering you you need to reassess things and make more of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭FazyLucker

Video did that years ago.....long before Spotify was even conceptualised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭FazyLucker

In one way I'd say "yes" but in general, having done the same thing I'd say it was brilliant. You had no idea what sort of crack pot was going to arrive in, what sort of hot lassie, or a hot lassie crack pot or anything in between.

It isn't something I'd do now but back then it was great craic. The best craic was always with the randomer who you ended up going for a beer with for the evening.

I don't exactly look back fondly at the couple who came home from the pub and decided to "enjoy themselves" on the bunk below me, but it all adds to the hilarity of being a backpacker.

It is a great experience for any young lad or young one, now that I'm settled with kids etc I look back very fondly at those carefree easy years. Wouldn't change it for anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

A key I imagine. Youve probably never seen a dialer on a phone either if youve never seen a car key :)

I think a lot of this is age related. "Imagine doing that now"... except for the ones that actually hated it at the time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, backpacking as a singleton is just the best. You literally didn't know what was around the next corner along with the romances. I absolutely loved it, I have amazing memories.

Not so sure about doing it now!!

Basically, there's lots of things I wouldn't go back to doing, but I enjoyed doing them back then and I gained heaps of experience from them (including jobs that I wouldn't fancy doing now)

Advertisement