Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI to Catch Drivers.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Mobility App seems to be bringing together registration, insurance, driver licensing, convictions and more for frontline Gardai now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,092 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, I remember the last time I was caught speeding (100 on the straightest 80 road I've ever seen! My fault, didn't see the sign and assumed) he briefly showed me the device. Had forgotten that. Mad they just can photograph the reg now. Pain in my wrist writing stuff back then. Progress!

I'm 40 this month. Can I say "Back in my day" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Putting in place a surveillance system costs money and has to be maintained. It is profitable. If the objective is reducing deaths and injury on the road, then being realistic, more cameras are diminishing returns of scale, compliance with road rules is very high in Ireland. You can all cite examples of bad driving behaviour on Irish roads, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. In general humans make allowances for that, can compensate and move on with their day.

AI is a misnomer and works on the whole by seeking out anomalies from expected specific behaviour patterns, it is not perfect and the veracity of findings where used in surveillance can be challenged in court (means, motive and intention).

For arguments sake, lets say the Irish government or one of the councils implement this and get 100% compliance, where is the revenue going to come from to maintain this system? Cameras need to be connected to power and network to feed data to a processing center (somewhere in the cloud, which means a datacenter round Dublin.), that has to be staffed and maintained and the software updated at regular cadence. I see lots of consulting hours in such a scheme, they are not off the shelf solutions. The problem with 100% compliance is there is no revenue to maintain the system, therefore laws need to be expanded to bring in more revenue.

If you look at our neighbours, that exactly what they do.

You may need to pay the Congestion Charge, Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and/or the Low Emission Zone charges to drive in London. Your number plate (Vehicle Registration Mark) will tell us which charges you need to pay. source

Most people are not happy about this and some take action, can you imagine Owen Keegan with this power?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

The private operator made a profit because it was subsidized by the state, who paid them 14 millions while only raising half from fines. It clearly says so in the article:

An Garda Síochána made a “loss” of €7.5 million last year as a result of a contract, as less than €7.2 million was raised as a result of fines from GoSafe detections.

But in any case, this kind of operation doesn't have to be profitable by itself. It will be profitable by preventing deaths and serious injuries, which cost state a lot of money, both directly from cost arising from emergency services and medical care, and indirectly from losing workforce contributions and tax revenues.

Advertisement