Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI to Catch Drivers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It wouldn't have been used. There was a ban on unnecessary trips.

It's these mad conspiracy theories that seem to stifle any progress in this country.

Even for China that's a crazy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Going by the Garda Twitter page you’d assume they are traffic cops and nothing less, you’d think they’d be better off going after gangland criminals than regulating the motorists into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Fixed cameras everywhere in the UK and I’d bet it’s done absolutely nothing to stop Road fatalities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Terrible behaviour on the roads affects me far more than gangland violence.

There was a huge decrease in fatalities in Ireland when penalty points were brought in. Regulation obviously does work.

• Advertisement

And there is plenty of evidence that the most effective means of deterrence is increasing the chances/perceptions of getting caught, not increasing the penalty. So conceptually penalty points are great and worked well, but as soon as people realise the chances of getting them for wrong behaviour is so slim they stop caring.

This is to catch dangerous drivers, not take over the world.

So dramatic 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Maybe because that's what it's focused on...

The page is @GardaTraffic and it says in the bio 'An Garda Síochána account for traffic/road safety updates'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and yet road deaths have not climbed back up. how do you explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

So if we had the technology to catch someone speeding, each and every time they went over a speed limit... you don't think that would make roads safer? We know reducing speed makes the roads safer, that's a statistical fact.

You could have sensors at every speed sign, every street light etc... and your car could have sensors built in too, so there would be no way for anyone to get away with speeding on quieter roads etc. The amount of stupid eijits you see flooring it on their way home from work on back roads... no real worry of getting caught. And generally completely ignorant towards anyone else on the road who is in their way and delaying them by obeying the speed limits... I'd love to see those c*nts put off the road, or their insurance ridiculously high because of penalty points. Happy days I say! 😁

• Advertisement

I don’t think you understood or maybe just didn’t read my first post. The technology has more than one application and its other applications I’d worry about in the wrong hands. And the government and Gardai recently has proven it can be the wrong hands. Nor is it just Ireland that needs to be careful with this.

Road deaths may not have, but its a crude measure of general road safety and driver behaviour. Specific clampdowns on e.g. drink driving and almost more importantly the reversal of the societal acceptance of it will have had a major impact there.

But wanton disregard of basic "rules of the road" is fairly rampant. Cars blocking bus lanes and parking on footpaths may not be directly causing road deaths (though the latter can), but I would say they nonetheless cause significant societal harm and they are done with reckless abandon. The penalties for driving with a mobile phone are high, but it remains an absolute scourge cause no one thinks they'll be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

We rank amongst the safest countries in the world in terms of road deaths

This is a complete “seen to be doing something” waste of time and money that would be much better served being applied elsewhere.

Divert it to more policing of the feral scum that are currently ruining our towns with mindless intimidation and vandalism.

The likely minuscule marginal benefit this measure would bring is absolutely not worth the erosion of our privacy rights giving the Gardaí (that famous bastion of propriety and rectitude) AI mass surveillance technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It could free up Garda time with traffic stops for no seats belt,phone or using the bus lane etc. Wouldn't even need Guards at the base, civilian staff could do the paperwork.

Anyhoo we could do both we have loads of cash.

and if they introduce AI to catch those who use phones while driving should the rate of offending not go down?

The traffic corps are a specific branch of the Gardaí and those kinds of things are their bread and butter.

You’re not going to be able to disband the traffic corps (AI computers can’t chase criminals on the roads)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

If we didn't have as many plonkers on the road then maybe they might have the time to go after other criminals.

In 2021 there were: an estimated 5.2 fatalities per billion vehicle miles, compared to 5.4 in 2020 and 5.1 in 2019. an estimated 91 KSIs per billion vehicle miles, compared to 89 in 2020 and 91 in 2019. an estimated 425 casualties of all severities per billion vehicle miles, compared to 426 in 2020 and 448 in 2019.

From google. It would seem those cameras are working.

yes? I'm not arguing otherwise.

I'm saying the problems today are with the lack of enforcement.

Though I'm sceptical they will use AI to do it, because they have many tools available today involving just cameras that they refuse to use.

• Advertisement

How can you possibly put that down to the cameras?

Firstly, the numbers year on year are too close to even be considered statistically different - could just as easily be stochastic variation.

Most importantly though you seem to be forgetting the enormous pandemic we had in 2020 and 2021 where nobody was allowed drive anywhere. I’d say people not being allowed to drive had more of an impact on road deaths than some cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They've been given a budget of €100,000,000 and this is what they want to use it for... catching speeding drivers.

Not: More courts, More Judges, More Garda, More Prisons, More Social out reach programs...

No... the biggest criminal issue we have in Ireland without a shadow of a doubt is someone driving over the speed limit. Gimme a Break!

Secondly, AI only becomes dangerous when humans allow it to make a decision, so I'd be against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

While bad anywhere, In reality its worse when not on the motorway

They have added several more judges and expanded the courts with a load more judges planned for the next 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

What type of moron deliberately doesn't wear a seatbelt and therefore would consider one of those?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this. they're not using technology that has been around for decades, now we're being led to believe they'll adopt cutting edge stuff which is untested?

the AI isnt making any decisions. Humans make the decisions. You should probably read the article before replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

we get bombared as motorcyclists / motorists by the RSA telling us we are all wreckless speed freaks. In some, but not the majority of cases. We have one of the lowest rates of danger comparined to other countries, as already someone said. its unfortunate and sad that ppl get killed using our roads, it is for whatever the reasons.

im riding motorbikes years and driving the equal amount of time....so....

you see a lot from a motorbike, and speeding is not the overall issue or major factor imo. Phone useage is off the ***ing charts. I counted 27 ppl in 15 mins one afternoon traversing the city on their phones while on the bike. doesnt matter age or whataver, everyone is doing it. The smell of ppl smoking dope on the m50 and in the city centre while driving is rampant, be under no illusion. Red light running now is common place, even though you're on a green you have to give way to the ppl running reds.

the regard for general road etiquette is gone, ppl will force / barge when they want, like a game of chicken, evern if they dont have right of way. There is a huge disconnect and its so so bad. and the same for motorcyclists, there are some who are also as bad as the car drivers, but the majprity of it is driver behaviour, ive seen and had a run in with one or two - to be duffing up another biker while on a bike ? Ppl blocking yellow boxes dont realise if you leave it free, the traffic moves, idiots.

You see ppl on motorways sitting at 70/80 kmh not moving in to let drivers by, drives other ppl mad qhen inside lanes are free. I see ppl regular, laptops on - watcing the news in the car, cant take their hands off the poxy phone while driving - because its in the windscreen this makes it ok - ffs?!! and video calling in the dark while drving ?WTF. Then you have coach drivers, i cant be the only one seeing how wreckless these guys are on motorways with passengers on board, be it the private express limerick, galway, or wexford buses etc. taking huge chances when there are no gaps, tail gating and exiting the motorway last minute crossing lanes. I also spoke to one guy in the pub, who uses the m50 and told me he stays in the outside lane becuase he is going to the end of it - wtf ?? and says he doesnt move in - what a dlck.

So nobody gets left out, the cyclists should adhere to the same rules as motorcyclists / drivers, if someone is making a left ahead of them, cyclists need to stop/ slow to give way, ive seen a lot of v close calls, but some pedal on risking it bigtime - if you wouldnt do it on a car or motorbike, you shouldnt do it on a pushbike, thats it. Dont get me started on elec scooters - these can go faster than 50 cc mopeds ,whereby you need a liceense , insurance etc, but on an elec scooter you dont? one of them clowns scratches your car or runs into you will be off, and you'll be left to cover the cost of repair.

One thing, cops on motorbikes are efficient and sneaky - they get around easy,id say they have a v good succes rate, but from what i see, the stuff i see every day, i really cant comprehend why the ph useage, wreckless driving - not speeding, or smoking drugs is not front and centre with enforcement by the guys on the bikes? beggars belief.

And i like others., wouldnt trust the Gardai with anything, you'd be delluded to think otherwise regardless what they spurt out on the media in general ot tell you they are a stand up organisation.

you could go on and on......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

compare ireland to the netherlands; if the same proportion of the population cycled as does in NL, do you think we'd looks as good in terms of road deaths?

or another way of asking the same question - why do only a tiny fraction of students cycle to school in ireland? if you went purely on road deaths as a metric, you'd be scratching your head, because irish roads are safe!

Advertisement