Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI to Catch Drivers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The AI will catch 100's (Maybe 1000's) of people aday that a human will need to verify, we don't have enough humans to the job so it will end up being automated. So yeah, it's not envisioned that the AI will make the decision, but once they see the work load coming through they'll switch to some degree of automation. OR it will just be ignored and not checked at all and the investment will be wasted.

This kind of reminds me of the receipts tracker on the ROS App. It was so convenient and easy that they took it away, as they didnt have the people to go through all those receipts at the other end! GAS!

There are literally eleventy thousand million things we need more than this.

Primary Radar for the Army

Paying increase for Navy so we can actually crew all the ships

Investment in Railway Infra

More Schools

More Hospitals

Additional resources for children with special needs

Proper Container Port in Rosslare, with rail transport

Water Supply

Renewable Energy

Electricity and Gas Grid

More staff for councils

State security

etc

etc

But no, we need to catch a person driving in a bus lane or doing 15% over the limit, that's the most important thing.

I 100% get (as a motorcyclist) that we have a huge problem with driving in Ireland, but this in my mind is attacking the symptom rather than the cause.

Sort out so that people don't need to use their cars then the most of the issue this is traying to tackle will go away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here, do we really need the 'we shouldn't do this because there are more important things' false dichotomy?

pause all reform in the gardai! we need to build a metro first!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Slippery slope. It's easy to see why some would approve though.

I recognize that and it's a fair point you make.

I still think there is huge back log in cases though that have to go before some of the courts (I could be wrong however)

There have been some rape cases that have taken over 5 years to get toe court. (Sorry for the what-aboutary)

Point taken, I get we cannot think like this all the time.

But it needs to be accepted that there are some jobs/projects that are needed first and some that are needed last. In my mind AI traffic camera are right down the bottom of the list.

If it were a toss up between AI Traffic Cameras and the Metro 99% of people would have the Metro.

Like, I don't think there is dichotomy there either

People use the bus lane cause they're in a rush and traffic v-bad, If there was decent rail transport in the city, people might not use their cars as much and the traffic wouldn't be as bad. Obviously the costs are way different (You're not gonna get a metro for €100m) but there is a factor of human resources and time directed towards certain projects that could be working on other more important projects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Cordell

we have a huge problem with driving in Ireland

Not really, Irish roads are among the safest roads in Europe.

The problems that we have are mostly due to drivers being distracted and/or incapacitated by mobile phone usage and other activities like putting on make-up and having breakfast, drugs and alcohol, old age and bad eyesight. There is also the problem with ignorant and inconsiderate drivers who think that driving way below the speed limit is actually safer. But even with all these problems, driving in Ireland is much safer than most of the world.

Sweet fcuk all to do with road safety unless it is specifically to catch people on their phone. Yeat another attempt to take money from citizens, just like clamping, speed vans, airport parking fees, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stop committing offences and you won't be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yes it's how these things start.

How can nobody see this. Nobody can think 10 - 20 year's ahead in this country and see Where this path takes them on.

Look where we are now from 20 - 30 year's ago.

Remember covid.

first it was just stay at home, then you can't go beyond 5km, now you need a mask, now you need a vaccine & now you need to prove your vaccinated.

See now where it starts and ends??

And they won't make a difference because people will continue to be assholes on road's as is the case now even with all the tools we use already.

A better use of that money would be to hire Gardai & actually make the road's better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

There are many factors as to why a much smaller fraction of students cycle - infrastructure (what I presume you are looking for here) is big, obviously much more advanced in the Netherlands.

But our settlement patterns are also entirely different to the Netherlands - our towns are much more sprawling, creating larger distances to cycle than in the more densely packed settlements in Netherlands (not to mention the much flatter topography and lower rainfall). This is particularly true in rural areas, where children might live miles from where their school is.

The level of dumbing down in this country can't be healthy either.

Go live in a place like China so for a year and see what a police state is like. I bet you'll be glad to get back to A place that isn't like that.

What offence?

What vigilante group are you in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, if they're so safe, why do so few people cycle?

yer average dutch secondary school student is something like 20 times more likely to cycle to school than an irish student.

the focus on road deaths as the sole metric of how safe roads are is obscuring deeper issues.

I would say it's not practical for most to commute by cycling. Mostly because of the distance and weather.

does that explain a 20 fold difference in school students cycling?

most of our population is classed as urban. annual rainfall in amsterdam is (IIRC) higher than dublin. the issue is if someone's 14 year old daughter said to them 'i want to cycle to school', most parents would be horrified; because of the (perceived) danger. if we have some of the safest roads in the world, why is that? is it because they're just safe for car drivers and occupants, that we've abandoned non-motorised forms of transport?

Just because something works in 1 country doesn't mean it'll work in every country.

Tell ya what, cycle with your kid to school in rural Ireland for a month on a national or primary road and you'll see why more people won't do it.

two things - firstly, as mentioned, most of the population of the country is urban. the vast majority of kids in ireland do not commute to school along N roads.

secondly, are you proving my point for me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just cause something doesn't work for some rural dwellers doesn't mean it can't work for millions of urban ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It would be a fine and points in the post,no great staff required apart from some clerical work . If you want to appeal the photographic evidence you'd go to court.

We have loads of money now,so all of those things can be done simultaneously.

• Advertisement

If only there was a way to not have to pay the fines, hmmm 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

“An image is taken of the driver in the car and then it’s verified by a human,” she said. 

“So, it’s not just that you let some AI system determine whether or not it’s the driver… before any penalty will be sent out.

Sounds like more than some clerical work to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We do have some of the safest roads in the world, that is a fact. Another fact is that in that cycling heaven of Netherlands road deaths are 30% more than here. Coincidentally or not, 30% of road deaths in Netherlands are cyclists. So maybe that perceived danger is not that perceived, maybe it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How long does it take to look at a photo? All of this could be done by civilian staff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

again, a statement saying 'we have among the lowest road deaths in the world' does not automatically lead to 'we have some of the safest roads in the world'.

of course cycle deaths in NL are going to be far higher than they are here, even with their infrastructure - far, far, far more people cycle there. so the fact they see greater numbers of cyclists dying is not proof that we have safer roads; saying it is, is compounding the 'we have safe roads because we have low road deaths' error.

correctly stating that we have incredibly low death rates from 'swimming in shark infested pools' in ireland does not mean swimming in shark infested pools is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Things are bad enough already with speed vans parked in ridiculous locations

Advertisement