Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike headset

Options
  • 25-04-2023 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine has a Cannondale mountain bike. It has a straight 1.5" steerer. The headset bearings top and bottom are totally shot. He can't find bearings to fit. Can anyone here point him (us) in the right direction please.

He has mailed Cannondale directly twice and been sent two different bearing sets, neither of which fit. I suggested he email CycleSuperStore and see if they could help and they have also sent incorrect bearings.

It's not cartridge bearings that fit, but something like at the link below except it's 1.5" inner diameter he needs.

There are cups fitted into the headtube and the bearing ring fits into the cup. Cannondale just kept sending him cartridge bearings that don't fit. They sent a cup that doesn't fit in the top either.

Anyone know where he can but bearings from? All he needs is the actual bearings. Existing cups are fine.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have ye tried CannondaleExperts, Cannondale-spares, and Dr Cannondale?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I think it’s semi-integrated he’s after.

Im after getting one for my Mtb from Ali express called Bolany.

Headsets baffle me to be honest. I hate having to order them. Different options for angles etc. But there seemed to be a range of options when I ordered so one of those may suit him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

choose model and year, should be able to get part number from there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you sure the 1.5" measurement is correct seems an odd size.

Google some bearing companies more often than industrial suppliers have what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks for all these replies folks.. Much appreciated.

@iwillhtfu ya. Def 1.5". He sent me on a photo here.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

bring the old bearing races to your local bike shop and get loose bearings.

it'll work just as well, if not slightly better, with more bearings actual ''bearing'' the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks 8valve

I'll tell him that. The two of us looked again today on all sites listed above and too many others to mention and the replacement set seem impossible to find. Think he'd gonna drop it into the shop tomorrow

Advertisement