Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan burial query

• 26-04-2023 7:24am
    Administrators Posts: 397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Online burial registers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭mindhorn

Looking for Monaghan burial records for 1947. Any advice as to where to look?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I haven't done much of any research in that neck of the woods.

Is it burial records specifically rather than headstones or death notices?

I take it you've exhausted the usual sites - IGP, Find A Grave etc?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭BowWow

Not much online.

Very helpful in Monagan Library if you ask about sources.

If it's Monaghan town, the office in the Catholic Cathedral has records of the local largest cemetery - Laturcan Cemetery.

I don't have a whole lot to work off as it's a request from a relative of mine, but they're just looking to confirm where his grandmother is buried. She wasn't buried with her husband as she was Church of Ireland and he was Presbyterian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭BowWow

Whereabouts in Co. Monaghan did they live?

Also, is he buried in Monaghan, and, if so, what cemetery?

• Advertisement

If you want to post details or message me the the name and date of death of the deceased I can check death notices for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry, I didn't see any notification for this reply (or Hermy's). Lived in Swans Cross. Trying to find out where he's buried.

Thanks, Hermy. Mary Sloan (nee Hall), died 20/04/1947.

There's a death notice in the Irish Independent of April 22nd which says 'Funeral today (Tuesday) to family burial ground' and another in the Northern Standard on April 25th that doesn't give a place of burial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Does that help the burial ground?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Not sure it does - don't know where is meant by the family burial ground.

Is there anyone else in her family whose death notice I could check that might mention the place by name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've asked for other names in the family so waiting to hear back.

This discussion had gone beyond the scope of the Online burial registers thread so I've moved it to it's own thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you contact the moderator of this page with the details you have, they will put the question up on the page. There is a very good local historian (helped me out anyway) there who may be able to help.

Clones Notice Boards | Clones | Facebook

Both names, Sloan and Hall would be well known in the area. Sloan's owned the only shop in Swann's Cross and Hall's had shops in Killeevan and Clones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hope this might be of interest:

https://m.facebook.com/momentswillmakememories/posts/one-of-the-countys-longest-established-shops-john-j-sloans-and-sons-ltd-in-ennis/810555172439729/

Or I would recommend contacting the RCB Library to find a local Church of Ireland Rector who might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The births of their first two children (Elizabeth 1916 and Joseph 1919) were in a place called Drumlinney with the next Ena (1921) in what looks like Liscreney. (?)

Advertisement