Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gap

Options
  • 26-04-2023 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if any of the trails in The Gap are suitable for a cyclo-cross bike? If not can you cycle on the walking trails between there and Ticknock? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

The Blue trails there would be doable on the Cross or Gravel bike.

You could park in The Gap, cycle up on the normal climbing trail and over into Ticknock and do Skyline to the hut, climb back up Toms Climb and then back to The Gap for the Blue Trails there. That would be a nice spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The blue trails in the gap may be doable on a CX bike depending on your ability but I wouldn't be bringing a CX bike to a mtb bike park.

Yep I know Dan Wolfe etc did it but you can be sure that was all sponsor lead.

You can pedal up and through the gates into Ticknock no bother but unless you've paid to use the trails in the gap don't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As mentioned on another thread, I've got down the blue trails on my gravel bike (after coming across from Ticknock). My off road skills are poor to middling, and I managed the "harder" blue options. The non-GAP option/ walking route directed me down iirc? Or was certainly no bikes signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're talking about just getting from Ticknock to Glencullen on your CX bike then you can go through the GAP on the walking path but if there's people out walking then you should walk also... You'll get down the Blue trail on a CX'er easy enough but could be stopped by staff and asked if you have signed the disclaimer and paid the €5 entrance fee also..

Otherwise just go down by Pedro's / Blue light and onto the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear though I’m not asking about sneaking into the trails I’m just wondering if the walking trail is doable or allowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You wouldn't be allowed cycle on the walking trails in The Gap. You could cycle on the pedal-up trails (they lead up to the trail heads), and on the blue trails. You'd get few funny looks with having a CX bike, but who GAF.

Advertisement