Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage of Yacht in Private Car Park

Options
  • 26-04-2023 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hello,

I live in a private estate with a management company. Thankfully we have a decent car park. I asked my OMC about storing a 8 to 10 metre boat in the park on a proper trailer, yard tariler or cradle. They are now contacting the insurance company for feedback particuarly as regards liability. Anybody have an experience of such challenges? Is it possible to get public liability Insurance for storing a yacht in a car park or should the OMC insurance cover it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I feel it would be a playground for the young kids and a drinking den for the older ones, don't think you will get covered by any insurance company unless its in your own driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The OMC insurance is unlikely to cover it without extra cost.

I'd check your own insurance and possibly that covers it and you can then provide details to the OMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

When you say one's own insurance i presume you are referring to the yacht's boat insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

When a boat is ‘laid up ashore’ you must specify where and for how long to your insurer. Different insurers have different Ts & Cs .

Your question is strange – “proper trailer, yard trailer or cradle “ -So how is it put on a cradle/yard trailer? The cost of a crane to lift a boat that size is not cheap.

Parking it in the common area of a multi-dwelling unit would bring definite issues from other residents. The Mgmt Co will not want that hassle. The line will be “If he can afford a boat he should be able to pay for storage”.

Advertisement