Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counterfeit Tyres?

• 26-04-2023 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭

That time of year has rolled around for me and a new set of tyres is needed. I normally buy continental premium contacts and get them online and take them to a fitter. Last time I was with him he told me I was mad to do it that way, that he could supply the same fitted for €30 less per corner. I paid 170+20 fitting.

I'm just wondering if such a price is suspiciously low? I know counterfeit tyres exist but are they a problem here? The last time I rang around local places none could come close to the online price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’m sure there’s a serial number or other identifier on the sidewall to verify it’s a genuine tyre.

As a regular customer, I’m sure he just did you a deal to keep your business and encourage good word of mouth.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I’ve never bought tyres online, I have always found what I was looking for as cheap if not cheaper locally than online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

You'd want a serious operation to be counterfeiting tyres. Plenty of cowboy outlets IMO, but the product is bulky, moulds cost a fortune, and supply chains are well established and difficult to break into the market without huge backing I would have thought.

I've struggled to find a decent tyre fitter myself, but I imagine he just gave you a deal / didn't charge VAT / had tyres ordered for someone who didn't collect / had a cheaper source / bulk discount.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this a case of 'If only you had come to me, I could have supplied you for €20 a corner cheaper - you will know better next time' when he knows that your business is already done for now, but next time - well ......

You do you pricing before you buy, not after. That just leads to regret with no upside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's pretty much the way the conversation went the last time I was in with him. With my milage it's no more than an annual visit these days and, in the 5 or so years I've been going to him he's never let on that he's recognised me as a repeat customer. His operation is small, but always busy when ever I was there.

Admittedly it's been a while since I've shopped around for tyres as it's an absolute pain. I like continental for their wear and grip balance on my car, but any time I have went looking it's "would you consider this longli, triangle or other brands?" Sticking to what I want usually resulted in a €230+ quote from the places I called. That's why I was a bit taken by the price offered, in a too good to be true way.

Seemingly counterfeiting is a thing and in the EU it's estimated that it has 7.5% of the tyre market, batteries is even worse.

So the question is have people found the local fitters supply and fit to be competitive with online. Seems that a few here have anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Like anything shop around online first, get x few quotes and compare specs. Ring ahead tyre places for best deals and haggle. Often they can order in anything but don't want to do so.

Best value I got was a tyre thread depth gauge that helps me to decide to rotate tyres and order replacements with plenty of time.

I have never heard of counterfeit tyres but I know knock offs in general can appear as good as genuine with experts struggling to tell the difference. Sometimes knock offs can be mixed with genuine stock and those handling the good have no idea. Try buy from genuine larger websites or established local businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

so did you actually get a quote from him this year?

is it cheaper

Advertisement