Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sycamore trees / seeds

Options
  • 26-04-2023 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Just read on twitter that sycamore seeds or those that have recently popped up are poisonous and extremely lethal to horses.. never heard of that before and just wondering if they harmful to cattle or sheep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They aren't poisonous to sheep or cattle. Acorns cause issues for sheep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Thanks @Jim_Hodge I would say there is Sycamore trees in every field I have.. there would be oak trees too.. but I don't have any sheep, the kids have a wee pony though so will have to take care with him.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Anto simialr to yourself (loads of Sycamore) and I have a few horses no issue ever, and this farm will have had horses here for generations. Spoke to a vet before and he had treated a good few horses with what he was calling sycamore colic (I think). They all died or 90% of them. Not enough grazing the main issue I guess.

Advertisement