Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Goal Wins [Taika Waititi version]

Options
  • 27-04-2023 9:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Taika Waititi returns to something a bit more grounded after JoJo Rabbit & the Thor movies; I watched the original (and excellent) 2014 documentary fadó, and you can tell just by this trailer it's going for a more dramatic, fictionalised version of events. So while I doubt this movie will match the immediacy & authenticity of the documentary's emotional story, I hope we return to the level of Waititi's earlier, better work. It increasingly felt like the guy was getting a bit high on his own hype.

Good to see Michael Fassbender back too: I hope he enjoyed his time being a professional racer, but his absence from cinema was a net loss IMO.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That looks right up my street

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Hmmm not sure about this. The documentary was fantastic and really captured something magical. It doesn't look like from the trailer they will manage to transfer this to a film. They probably should have just left it alone. Was there supposed to be a follow up to the documentary coming out? I thought I heard murmurings about this a few years back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Looks pretty terrible. The documentary was brilliant, just watch that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah...doesn't look great to me. I know had a lot of issues in development, primarily Armie Hammer.

The documentary is terrific.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doesn't look like the doc isn't available on any streaming unfortunately; you can get a sense of the difference, tonally, by the trailer anyway...

When people talk about "underdog stories" you'd do well to find one coming from this far down the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm nort familiar with the story but from that trailer I'm thinking Klopp in Cool Soccer Runnings 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this out soon, cinema release or straight streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Advertisement