Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gasless Mig welder

• 27-04-2023 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was to get a gasless mig for fixing bits and pieces around the farm and basic stuff.

I've been using a small gasless mig from lidl, and while it sticks metal together, it's finicky and the welds aren't neat.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Parweld do decent stuff if on a budget. Gasless mig is never great.

My parweld inverter stick welder **** a bag of bolts two weeks ago. I thought it was great. I replaced it with and Esab 180i Pro stick and tig. I got it from caulfield industrial. Same money as a cheap welder.

The difference in weld quality over the parweld is unreal, night and day. You can control hot start etc. It makes an average welder look good.

If your investing i wouldnt look past an esab. Buy once, buy right i keep being told!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Why not get a proper mig, get a rent free tank, pay more at start but better than a contract from boc gas etc, and u will weld , lots of places doing the rent free gas now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭enricoh

I got a esab rogue inverter a couple of years ago n it did possibly 2% of the work my previous lorch inverter did before packing in.

Dunno what their gasless yokes are like and I won't be investing to find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Do NOT buy a gasless MIG welder, no matter the brand, the welding process is the problem not the brand of welder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Gas mig wouldn't work unfortunately, as a lot of welding would be outside.

So I'm probably better off looking at a good stick setup?

The Esab 180i looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭enricoh

Handy 140, it sits beside the esab on the shelf. One German quality, one Chinese junk!

I've been looking at various inverters and this one seems to come out on top at the price.

Stamos Welding Group S-MMA-250PI.2 Arc Welder Inverter Welder Welding Machine (250 A, 8m Cable, IGBT, Hot Start, LED Display, incl. accessories) https://amzn.eu/d/hwEfZwm

What are your opinions on it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement