Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microinverter or hybrid inverter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thatphil

Re the micro inverters and over sizing I'm not sure thats strictly true. I have a small micro invertor system of 6x400w panels paired with 6 Enphase IQ7+ micros and these top out at 296 watts so the most I ever see from from my 2.4kWp system is 1.776. So clipping is something to be mindful of with micros too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Don't forget now that it's not the actual production that ESB Networks care about, it's the rated label on the inverter. If you have a 400w micro-inverter, and it's never (ever) produced more than 296w, ESB Network's don't care. It's will go down as a 400w as far as they are concerned. So 12x of those puppies and your are at 4.8Kw. Meaning when you want to get your 13th micro-inverter, your technically no longer compliant (reg's wise)....come May 31st when 5Kw is the new limit for a domestic house on a NC6 form.

This makes it harder to oversize the panels->inverter ratio. I sort of skimmed it above with the comment that it's "harder" to do oversize the arrary. You can do it with 2x or 4x panel micro-inverters I guess, but it's a little harder. The limit is inverter size, not panels.

your dead right though, it's easier to experience clipping with Micro-inverters, but in terms of regulation compliancy and the ability to hit 5Kw on more days of the year by having 6-7Kwp in panels, it's easier to do that with a string inverter.

As mentioned I've both, really like micro-inverters myself incase you think I'm dissing them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

Given the website you shared "over 25A will not be eligible for connection under the NC6 Microgeneration connection application route."

What does that entail? You cannot be connected to the grid? You won't receive SEAI grants? Both?

Also you said, you can put string with a 5kw inverter and then if you want more, you could get microinverters. Wouldn't they count against the total 5kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So right now, you are allowed to install a 6Kw inverter. Has been this way for years, but they (ESB networks) are changing the rules whereby the maximum inverter allowed on a (free) NC6 installation is 5kw. This will happen on May 31st. After that, if you installed a 6kw inverter, you wouldn't likely be able to get the SEAI grant of €2400. You might still be eligible to get the grant on a NC7 submission, but that submission is guts of €1000 and it's not guaranteed that it would be approved. However on a NC7 you wouldn't be limited to just 6Kw either but way more potentially. 11Kw is it lads?

So to maximize the production you should get your install done promptly if you can.

You sort of found the issue with adding micro-inverters after getting the string inverter installed. Yes, you would be in breech of the regs. You would however would have obtained the 1x (and only) grant at that stage. It would be wrong of me to recommend that you should do that - but that's the story.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The limit on the nc7 is 72amps (17kva) [hmm they seem to doing the calculation on 240v] on single phase.

It is also dependant on the grid, and your MIC (import connection)

I think the nc7 does allow for export limiting though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You won't be allow export more that your max import I believe

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

Advertisement