Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceased English couple in Tipperary

Options
  • 27-04-2023 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The inquest took place on this today. Foul play was ruled out. I guess we’ll never know what happened.

’chose to withdraw from society’ comment, telling their GP that they are moving and glue in the locks are a bit ominous. But maybe the glue was just keep a draft out and one of them got too ill to travel and they both passed away in quick succession, which is not unheard of.

I do feel sorry for the community there too who were negatively tarred at the time.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is so unfair to blame neighbours when someone is found dead like this.

In most cases, and especially in this case, the deceased were private or reclusive and would not have welcomed someone knocking on the door to ask after them, and have probably made this clear in the past. This couple went to extra lengths to tie up their obligations and give the impression they were leaving, maybe they did intend to leave and something happened, we will never know. There doesn't have to be any 'blame' laid on anyone, and certainly not, in the circumstances, on the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No point going on really if you are going to lose the love of your life at that age

they probably decided to go together which is very romantic in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would have thought the same, until I read that they were found in separate rooms. I reckon one went before the other, and the other just gave up. The glue in the locks is weird, but no evidence at all of foul play. Sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The fact they told everyone they were going abroad and the house was already sold is what throws me on this.

I got the impression that they were completely petrified of the Covid scare propaganda and decided to make a pact as they felt the world wasn’t worth living in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lock barrels aren't draught sources to the point that you'd glue them up; and the large charity donations make me think it was at least somewhat planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If the gaf was sold did the buyer not go there and see what the story was? Very sad but very strange in a way. May they both rest in peace. If they ingested poison or it was suicide i presume it would nearly be imossible to tell given it was at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭standardg60

The glue in the locks would indicate that they decided that neither could leave no matter how desperate they became, i doubt anyone else had a key so it wasn't to prevent entry. If/when he died (it would seem plausible that he died first given the way he was found), she would starve herself. Breaking the crockery and knocking over the television to deal with her grief before wrapping herself with the blankets and having the heater on to ease the inevitable. Sad but a very endearing example of true love.

If she really wanted to get out she could have easily broken a window, so what’s the point of gluing the locks?

Not at that age, and especially so if they'd deliberately starved themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My first reaction too, but an 80 year old with arthritis might not be physically able to get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm guessing so people couldn't enter or she couldn't get out. Modern windows are hard to break.

Very sad, but some closure and vindication for the traumatised neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did they have any kids or family?

It is sad, may they both rest in peace

It was said on Virgin Media news that plates of food were found on the ground so I don’t think they deliberately starved themselves. Bizarre case altogether.

He had a brother, and she had a son from a prior relationship. Both covered in the article linked in the OP.

Would the son get the estate?

Seriously odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Given how organised they seemed from the articles about them in the last year, I’d be surprised if they didn’t have a will. I’m sure it’ll come out in the media in time.

Plates of food or just plates? Inquest report posted said crockery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

An 80 year old with arthritis could probably break the front windows of the house and call for help or neighbours and passers-by might see that they were in distress and needed help.

The house isn't quite as remote as the newspapers are making out. The front of the house can be seen from the road and it's not far from the postbox so at a minimum, a broken window would be seen by the postman.

I don't think she tried to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I got the impression that they were completely petrified of the Covid scare propaganda and decided to make a pact as they felt the world wasn’t worth living in anymore.

Complete speculative rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think its possible they knew one of them was dying and they couldnt live without each other. They agreed that the other would die by whatever way around the same time. They didnt want to be found for some time so told others they were going away - it would appear this was just to avoid people calling to the house. They gave a lot of money away to charity so didnt want relatives benefiting too much after their death. I would say there is a will where property is also left to charity. It seems all they had in life was each other. Everything seemed to have been planned.

Its strange that she had a child in 1961 and it would seem she had no involvement with him at all - I read he was bought up by his grandmother. There must a sad story behind this as well.

Its a tragic story to read but for this couple their plan probably worked out exactly the way they had planned it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It is so unfair to blame neighbours when someone is found dead like this.

Totally agree, and I remember thinking that at the time too.

As an aside, it's not unknown for a couple to die, of natural causes within a very short time of each other. I know of two double funerals, both elderly couples, in the past two / three years.

May they rest in peace.

I have a case in my extended family of it being the morning and night of the same day. Cant remember which was the later, but as close as a case of just giving up when losing their spouse of decades as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Was just watching the Last of Us the episode with the gay couple and weirdly it reminded me back to this story. Very sad and I do hope they are at peace. What a strange way to live your life though. I hope nobody I know ever feels so little good about society that they'd want to seal themselves away permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Was the house sold? Can't see any mention of it.

A very sad story.

My bad. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the house had been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

From what I remember from other articles they told the gardener that the house had been sold but that obviously wasn’t the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

Yes, extremely sad story.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The house wasn’t sold. That was just part of the story he/she/they put about the village in order to explain away in advance their disappearance.

Some people can’t stop themselves from editorialising these news stories in order to make them as lurid as possible.

• Advertisement

€16000 was left to various charities. I don’t know why you think the story is “odd”. Elderly couple die in cleverly preplanned suicide pact isn’t very original and there’s absolutely not one single thing suspicious in the whole tale.

Advertisement