Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with wages

• 27-04-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I started a new job in the public sector a few months ago. I get paid fortnightly. My problem is that every pay period I have been receiving a different wage. In my last job I was paid the exact same every week. This period I was paid 40euros less than last period, the time before that it seemed to be normal and the time before that it was 100euros less. Payroll say its not their problem as they go by Revenue, revenue are zero help at all and I really don't know where to turn to at this stage? Who should I contact? I do the same hours each month, I know what pension contribution I pay each pay period, there is nothing else bar the usual tax, USC etc. I'd just like to know at this stage what to expect each pay period instead of being like opening a lucky bag and hoping for something better than the last time! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you do the same hours each fortnight as well as each month? Or could you have 9 working days some fortnight and 11 in others?

Does your payslip show the total hours of days hours are being paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Toots77

Yes its the same hours and its every 14 days, I really don't understand it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,034 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So does your payslip show the total hours or days are being paid for? Is it the same, at the same rate, each time?

If it is yhen you need to investigate Revenue more. Do you have a MyAccount login? If not follow the directions on their site to get one - look at your messages in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Guffy

Could it be pension contributions or similar that comes off gross on a monthly basis?

Payslip really should lay it out in black and white tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

New job might mean emergency tax was at play.

Pay slips are quite detailed so if you compare the few fortnights in question you will see the discrepancy. Ie. Less hours input, more tax, more pension deductions etc.

Also, is your union subscription deducted on one payrun?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

If you compare your various payslips you should see quite quickly what's causing the discrepency.

I worked in Finance for a number of years (although not in the payroll section). When there was an issue with payments received by staff, it was rarely the fault of Revenue. It was usually an internal comapny issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Sometimes a random bump in wages may be due to the fact an increment or pay increase was applied. I noticed an extra €30 odd in one of my payslips recently and it was due to the 1% increase meant to be given in February. It wasn't applied until early March so I was back paid that amount.

Normally, they can vary for 3/4 payslips in a row. E.G. first payslip might include the 1%/increment for part of a fortnightly period, the next might include the 1%/increment for a full fortnightly period, the next might include any back pay owed for the late application of the 1%/increment etc. Anything more than 3/4 different ones, I 'd be investigating further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Toots77

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sunshine158

I work in payroll and your company are correct. They just download your tax credits from Revenue each payroll run. As mentioned above if you contact Revenue through my account (search google) they will usually sort it out for you. If you've overpaid tax, it will be reimbursed to you once you get it cleared up. 😊

Advertisement