Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV runaround advice

• 27-04-2023 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice….I’ve read a few posts but it’s like a different language. Looking to change our second car and thinking a small EV might do the trick. We have a diesel as our main car for long journeys so the second car would be a runaround for school runs and kids activities. Probably 15-20km round trips. No solar panels at home. Any ideas on the most cost efficient EV for this scenario? The budget isn’t huge of course so thinking we might be priced out anyways….any advice appreciated …

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What is your budget?

Basically any EV will do the trips you’ve stated, even a 2011 Leaf with crapped out battery.

Bang for buck would be a Nissan Leaf 24 kWh if you can get a nice spec one (Tekna/SVE) or maybe a Fluence.

I think everything else is north of €10k. There’s a great ioniq in the for sale thread by a boardsie @bootser for €15k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

You won't get a better introduction to EVs than an original ionic 28kW

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newme2023

Don’t want to spend more than €15k - less if possible! I’m absolutely clueless so excuse my ignorance but second hand EV’s get a bad rep re battery - is there any basis for this? Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Why spend 15 when you can spend 10. If it's a run around, get a Leaf. Buying a car with more range might start to compete with the main car.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would second the Ioniq 28kWh. Perhaps a little expensive for your budget, but battery appears to be perfect still even after high mileage.

Only problem is that you will find it is used as your number 1 car, the diesel will get very little use.☺️

Didn’t think I was snobby about cars but no, couldn’t do that one

10k would be ideal. I didn’t think it was possible to get away with 10k tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just be 100% aware of what you're getting with a Leaf24 or similar, and more importantly what you aren't

They're absolutely brilliant runaround cars, cheap enough to buy at the moment and cheap to run and maintain

I live in Dublin and I could drive anywhere in the county, plus most of the bordering counties with confidence to make it home

What it isn't is a car you'd be driving form Dublin to Cork, unless you've a lot of patience

If that is okay for you, then you'll be fine

The Leaf has a unique feature that it actually tells you the battery health on the dash, there's a ribbon of 12 bars on the right hand side which show battery state of health

12 bars is full health, doubt there's many 24kWh Leafs with that. 11 bars is 85% health and it goes linearly from there

A Leaf24 with 11 bars should be good for around 90-110km of range depending on the weather

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is your maximum total round trip distance EVER if the second car. If it's say 30km from home worst case then any EV will do. Many EVs are not good looking so you may not like outside of very old leaf or other EV. Beware cheap used EVs are not suitable for long trips, not even once a year to say a funeral etc. They have very limited range and you need to stop multiple times for multiple 30 minute+ stops on long trips as they can't make it across the country without recharging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement