Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM antenna

• 28-04-2023 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Not strictly tv but I am looking for an FM antenna to improve reception. Have seen the circular 'halo' type ones but reviews seem poor.

I've used an amplified indoor antenna before but results were not great. I'm guessing an elevated external directional antenna is what is required.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You could try something like this Antiference RadioRod which actually has a bit of gain compared to the halo.

I had one that seemed to work fine for me where indoor aerials were useless due to my location. However, I've moved things about and haven't used it in a few years now. I keep meaning to get rigged up again but internet radios made me lazy!

A dedicated FM directional aerial would have better gain, but only at whatever transmitter it's aimed at.

Are there a few transmitters or particular radio stations you're trying to receive?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 youdoyou

Thanks for recommendation. Interested in receiving some low power fm stations which would generally be coming from the same direction,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I know it's nice to do a bit of dxing with the aerial via FM, but at this stage, there's hardly a radio station out there, that isn't available via an app on your phone or smart speaker with crystal clear audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

Forget about halos go for the antiference radio rod or maybe a 2-3 element aerial pointed in the direction of the stations youre interested in. (Larger aerials are available but it's a enormous amount of ironmongery to have on ones rooftop in a storm and the law of diminishing returns comes into play!)

Advertisement