Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your 22 month old understand?

Options
  • 29-04-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I'm worried sick about my son. His speech is very delayed. He probably has 5 or 6 words. My main concern is that he doesn't understand a whole lot even though he is almost 22 months old. For example if I say get your shoes - he hasn't a notion what I'm saying. If I say look at the clock, he sometimes looks.

He also doesn't always respond to his name all the time, which i know is an autism red flag.

I am going to bring him to the dr to see what my next steps are but just wondering if anyone has a 22 month old who doesn't understand much like my little boy, or a child who caught up. Ive read online this is considered a receptive language delay.

Other than the above, he's very happy, loves playing, loves people, makes great eye contact.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm sorry to hear how worried you are. It's an awful feeling.

Is there any chance he has a hearing difficulty? It's only one possibility, but it's something you might be able to check up on a little at home today.

Call him from outside the room and see if he responds.

See if you can find any difference to him understanding you when he's looking at your face and when you try talking to him from behind.

I have twin girls who are now twenty, but when they were two one of them did all the talking. It was only when her sister couldn't pronounce the word "No" properly it clicked. She knew exactly what it meant! She'd had a throat infection when very tiny and it left her with very little hearing. She had grommets inserted and they fixed her hearing immediately and permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Shhk11

Thanks so much for your reply. He had a hearing test in the Beacon about 5 weeks ago and he passed. I thought hearing issues might be the problem.

He just yesterday brought my coat and shoes to me so I'd bring him outside (but not because I asked him to, he wouldn't understand if I asked him to), so he is trying to communicate.

He has a few words, not a lot. It's the lack of understanding at the moment that's my main concern.

It's not easy this parenting business !! Thanks again for your reply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd say speak to your GP alright but just to ask, what exactly are you asking him?

I am trying to remember but I am not sure if I said to my kids age 22 months to look at the clock that they would know what a clock was.

If you said "go get your teddy/bottle/soother" or "can you get your coat" or something very simple and familiar, would he do that?

Not trying to dissuade you but just curious.22 month olds can be quite hot and cold on simple instructions, often you have to show them first and they can still get easily distracted.

Also have you contacted your PHN?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve been down this road albeit a child with a global delay. I’d book in for a consultation with a speech therapist first and they can steer you. hse primary care is decent in some areas but it’s hit and miss. you could also go private and if you ask for a consultation rather than assessment you might be seen sooner.

Has he hit his milestones for motor skills etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is child in creche they are usually good at determining if normal or an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would talk to your PHN and your GP. Kids do things at their own pace but if there is an issue early intervention is important.

Advertisement