Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting comics valued

Options
  • 29-04-2023 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

At home and partner found comics he forgot he bought years ago. Read once and put back in packet apparently. Anyway hike he isn’t really interested in selling I think if worth somthing they should be on the house insurance so valued.

is there anywhere in Ireland that does this? EBay show what seem identical ones to me from 40-250 so I have no idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If those are original issues from the Eclipse run they might have some collector value, but hard to say whether they'd be worth enough to be a listed item on your insurance.

There are generally two parts to the value of a comic - the specific issue and print run of the comic, and its condition. Rarity plays a part, and is generally more relevant for older comics. But on the condition side of things, it is common for valuable comics to be sent for an official grading and "slabbing" (having them placed in a sealed transparent plastic slab upon valuation as a guarantee that the condition has not been changed since valuation).

You could try calling your insurance company and asking if they have any recommended partner companies for valuations of goods such as these comics - if you're not looking to sell them, getting them slabbed and graded is unlikely to be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Perfect thank you. Apparently yes from original run so I’ll talk to insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnner69

It costs to have a comic graded and slabbed, which for the most part accounts for the discrepancy in asking prices for comics on ebay.

Depending on condition, the complete Miracleman run of 24 issues might be worth around €300, with #15 usually proving more sought-after and more valuable than the other issues.

That said, the UK variant of issue #1 is reasonably rare and expensive because it had a low print run. But if your partner bought Miracleman #1 in Ireland in the 1980s, as I did, it’s more than likely this rare edition—you’ll recognise it by a yellow back-cover advertisement for Quality Comics.

Advertisement