Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picture enhancement parameters

• 30-04-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

I have an old Vu+ Duo running an OpenBlackhole 4.2.3 image.

I have a 1TB drive in and its fully set up for 28E FTA channels.

There are loads of advanced options for picture quality.

I am happy to play with them, but I'd be interested to see if there is an optimal guide for picture quality, particularly for SD and lower resolution channels.

I'm talking about de-interlace, noise, colour depth/saturation, sharpness, etc.

Most SD channels displaying at 720p look acceptable, but there are some that are worse than others and get a bit Minecraft :)

I'm watching on a two year old Samsung TU8500 series 50" TV.

Cheers,

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sadly I think what you are referring to is at the broadcasters end not your setup. Many low budget channels are using the lowest settings they can get away with. This was adequate back when people were watching on 27" screens but once you get beyond 40" the weaknesses really show up. In my experience any attempt to smooth over the cracks (I so want to use another word here😉) will only mess up the better channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Right, see what you mean.

There are only a few channels that I watch regularly in SD, and I've made a few adjustments that have definitely improved things, but they don't really seem to impact the HD channels.

There would only be the occasional thing I'd watch on some of the highly compressed channels, so to makes sense not to compromise everything else for such occasional use.

That said, I'm a natural tinkerer, so I will tinker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I find if I select the Cinema setting on picture settings on the TV, it works best, particularly with SD channels, especially football on SD channels, Cinema I find is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

SD channels don't output at 720p as that is HD ready.

They are usually 720x480 resolution but some of the poorer ones can be less.

None of the software settings in the images like de-interlace, noise, colour depth/saturation, sharpness, can really improve the picture I have found, they mostly make it worse.

The main problem is the chipsets in most Linux receivers are Broadcom like the Vu+ Duo and it doesn't produce a very good picture especially for Standard Definition.

The best chipset for SD rendering is the SH4 chipset which was used in the Alien 2 receivers but these ran a kind of hacked version of Enigma 2 so they weren't as reliable for support.

Picture wise though they couldn't be beaten especially running the native Spark software.

The transition to ARM chipsets in the newer 4k receivers was supposed to bring picture improvements but unfortunately this hasn't happened yet from what I have seen.

The picture isnt much better than Mips is my experience.

I have a Mutant HD51 which has an arm processor, Im trying to see if there is a receiver that produces a better SD picture out there.

You could try the autoresolution setting on the receiver, this will output a SD picture and let your tv do the upscaling instead of the receiver, this can give a better picture.

Post edited by Zardoz on

Advertisement