Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver vs 5 Wood

Options
  • 30-04-2023 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

I’ve always struggled with driver but saying that last summer it came right…for me that’s about 205 to 220 including run out, carry was about 175 to 190’ish...but…5 wood goes as long and a lot lot more consistent, and I mean a lot more

I’m now at the stage where I leave driver in the bag in any competitive rounds, especially last couple months where confidence is blown with the driver.

Driver is 11 degrees head with regular 55grm shaft, 45.5inches long.

5 wood is same brand head (18degrees) and shaft (regular, 65grm, 43inches).

Fitted for both (no 3 wood) & have done numerous lessons which have helped hugely with wood/hybrids/irons/wedges (HCI dropped from 25 to 20 last season) but have major ups and downs with the driver (have gone through stance, ball position, head steady behind the ball, shallowing out etc). And no I don’t think it’s I’m over thinking the driver at this stage…

I know I should just stick with 5 wood and the game is scoring not hitting driver long but damn it I love playing the club and when it goes right it’s a beautiful feeling.

Has anyone had same experiences re wood vs driver being pretty much same results but more consistency with wood and figure out why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

More loft and spin is easier to hit straight.

Just means more practice, no quick fix as I doubt the fit you had was terrible if the 5w is working so well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You could contemplate going to your pro maybe and looking at a shorter shaft in the driver?

I've gone through phases like it before. Have gone through a season with no driver in the bag and just hit 3w. Have tried switching to a mini driver. Ultimately though, I think you are limiting your potential by losing the option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It depends what your goals are for the game. If you are happy enough with where your game is now then i'd say fair enough and just leave the 5 wood in the bag. That said if you want to continue to bring the handicap down you will have to fix the driver. Theres a couple of things you say which i'd question; 1. if 5 wood goes as far as your driver, theres an issue with your driver. Either delivering too much loft or too much spin which is causing you to lose distance. I'd suggest lessons to try fix that 2. Are you actually as accurate as you say with the 5 wood? A lot of amateurs think they are more consistent with a fairway or driving iron off the tee, the reality is for the vast majority of players your dispersion is just as bad and you are losing distance as well. Try keep track of your stats with both clubs for a few weeks and compare them.

Distance is the biggest differentiator in terms of strokes gained so i'd be very hesitant to just give up on driver now. If you are topping out at 205 yards that makes for a very difficult approach shot and likely a hybrid or 5w again on a longer par 4. If you are carrying 175 with a 5 wood that would be about 85mph club head speed which should comfortably get your driver carrying 200+ once you get it working for you. Another thing to look at is maybe get to a trackman range and verify what your numbers are.

Advertisement