Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY paint touch up for chips on car?

• 01-05-2023 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can advise. Please excuse me for not having a fcuking clue about fixing cars. 😂

I have some chips on my car going right through, that I've now made worse with a magic eraser and a remover I was trying for the paint transfer that's also on it. It's still there as I didn't want to keep rubbing at it then.

I was looking at this All-in-One paint touch up which they can colour-match, and I'm wondering if that would do or would you recommend a spray or something else?

I really just want to cover up the orange so it's not as obvious, I don't mind the paint being a bit lighter/darker and I know it'll still be visible that it's chipped. My idea is that having it filled in with a colour that isn't orange is going to improve it a bit regardless, would that be correct?

It's a 2008 car that I'll likely be replacing in a year or so, so I'm reluctant to spend the minimum 350+ it'll cost for a professional repaint. The only thing I'm concerned about is if I make it worse and that impacts how much I can get for it when I'm selling it, as the car is otherwise running perfect. Would it be possible to remove the paint if I fcuk it up?

It's a Citreon C3 2008.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

I've done a similar repair on back bumper , didn't come out factory perfect but was not bad either for a first timer, and cost me about 50 quid.

I went off this lad's video https://youtu.be/L8hoOQD6lvg

And got paint off a crowd in Dublin Vinny Byrnes, they're online as well. I needed filler, primer, colour coded paint to match and a clear laquer (oh and load of newspaper and masking tape). As I say whole lot was about 50 quid. Biggest problem I had was I've no indoor space so had to wait about 3 months after buying all the bits for a calm enough day to do it. Key to it all for me was just making sure everything else is covered well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Thanks a mil! I will def have a look at that. The main reason I was looking at this one is that it looked like an easy enough 3 in 1 job given I'm not too confident in my "skills"! I'm also street parked so wouldn't have anywhere indoors to do it, but I might get a bit of room on the street if I wait for a quiet day.

Well the only painting I've ever done bar that was a kitchen wall and it came out quite well (the car) . I'd imagine a body shop would look at it and cringe but it was on a 20 year old car that the bumper had been well bumped. Mind the cars around ya too, that spray paint will travel in the breeze

Just had a look at the video, it looks like it might be manageable even for me. I was perhaps naively hoping I could just get a spray or something and just spray it and be done. 😂

Yeah I was thinking that about the cars so would be looking for a quiet day here as sometimes the street would be fairly empty.

Was it this spray you got (for another model)? https://www.vinnybyrne.com/product/citroen-custom-matched-aerosol-spray-paint/ I see the filler and primer on here too. Def gonna give this a try!

• Advertisement

Yep that's the one, was a tiny bit different from the rest of the car but you'd really have to be looking closely for it,and in direct sunlight at that. Oh very fine grit sandpaper too, forgot to mention that. Follow what yer man does basically and a lot of light coats are essential, if you go too heavy the paint will run. I practiced on the inside lid of the wheelie bin if that's a tip of any help!

That's how mine came out, top pic is after putting on filler. it was after being backed into by someone, cracked and bits of paint flaked off. Not perfect result by any means but it's passable to me anyway. Bit of polish on top of that after it had a few days to dry and it was hardly noticeable.

Advertisement