Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No mow may

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But just look at the totally unnatural grass. The only way to get a sward like that is to mow it every week for 50 years to a height of half an inch with a cylinder mower before neglecting it. So a lot of work for an orchid. Given a few years and that will look totally different with tall grass species taking over and completely changing it.

The whole point of a meadow is that it is sustainable. Historically that would have been due to farming practices mainly because hay was cut much later than silage, but also due to man power, field sizes, field drainage and grazing practices.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

How it started in 2022…

How its going in May 2024…this year I have notced that creeping butter cup has spead to all over the place, but its a nice bit of colour. Planning maybe to mow a bit more in the back of the house you can see a bit of a brown section where I started. Not too much but widen the mowed section out myabe a meter or two. All in all its going great, this time of the year I'd say its at it best

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Looks great. Envious of your land! Daydreaming constantly of moving to countryside and doing similar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The twayblade which appeared in our lawn in may last year is back, which is great. Dunno how it got there, that's been a lawn for 70 years.

Also spotted a hole presumably made by a mining bee, in the soil, but that appears to have been trampled closed. It was right on a line through the garden which cats and possibly foxes use.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

For anyone that left a section/area of the lawn for no mow May - are you cutting it now to bring it back into line with rest of lawn or letting it grow away for another while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I just let them eat my early veg, the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

Am letting it grow and then end September will cut and rake away. Next year, there should be more wild flowers .

Advertisement