Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours and overcrowding issue

Options
  • 01-05-2023 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

We recently bought a house and we're delighted with it and the area that it's in. Unfortunately, the house joined to us houses approximately 20 people. When the front curtains aren't drawn, you can see that every room is filled to the brim with bunkbeds. In addition, they did have a tent out the back garden that people were sleeping in (which they've taken down but I believe they might put back up as the weather improves) and they've built a make-shift 'shed' out the back that people are also sleeping in.

What the landlord is doing is clearly illegal but in light of the housing crisis, I feel bad for the people staying there and wonder if they'd all end up homeless if the operation were to get shut down. By the way, it's not clear who the landlord is.

I've held off making any complaints to the council or doing anything about this situation but they've recently started having parties and the noise and loud music goes on all night, keeping my young children and myself awake all night. There seems to be a main guy of the house who I'm on friendly, speaking terms with. He's not the landlord but I wonder if he takes payment from these people who come and go.

I just had a chat with him and said that the parties need to stop. It's okay to have a BBQ and some fun, we'll probably have BBQ's this summer, but the music and noise all night long has to stop. He said he'll mention it to the others but I'm not feeling confident that that's the end of the matter.

Just wondering what people's opinions are on what I can do next, steps I can take, if the partying continues. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Doesnt matter if you complain. Nothing will be done about this. Council nor the gardai will do anything.

Maybe tlk to the actual landlord. It is them who will get any ounishment coming anyway and im sure they didnt expect there to be 20 people in their house when they rented it. If they did, then they should face the music anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Third party complaint to the RTB is probably your best bet but Council should act on overcrowding

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Goodigal

Best to start with broaching the topic with the landlord if you can get their details.

You can make a complaint to the Council re overcrowding issue. Regardless if you think tenants may be left homeless, they are also entitled to minimum standards of accommodation too.

Make a note of the dates/times/frequency of the noise from partying. Anyone can take an action to the district court for noise nuisance under the S108 EPA Act 1992 (I think that's the section) but you will need evidence of the level of disturbance you are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Move. That is the only option that will work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

haven't the fire brigade shut down unsafe housing at times? not that they're likely to want to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

See if you can join forces with other neighbours, residents association, people living behind, the more of you complaining the better. Complain on any and all grounds you can, all neighbours can keep noise logs and contact Gardai over noise, contact RTB, report overcrowding to council etc.

I wouldn't get involved with interacting further with the 'tenants' at all, it isn't a long term solution because random people will be moving in and out all the time probably. You've complained about the parties, that's fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

A quick call to the Fire Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm not sure why you say the council won't do anything about this? I know a neighbour that made a complaint about a similar set up to SDCC and they definitely acted on it. The major issue was people sleeping in the shed out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Plot twist: he's the landlord :D

Jokes aside, I don't think anything will be done about this. My friend rents a room in Terenure, and the house next door is home to at least 20 people what is a fairly run-down, three-bedroom house. This is happening all over Dublin, and it's just one more chapter in the book of Ireland's social decay.

The tenements were cleared in the 1960s and 70s, and now they're coming back.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What is the fire officer going to do? If it's not a commercial premises, they don't have any power to say there are too many people.

The only people who can sort this are

a) the landlord, but he's probably well aware of the situation

b) the council, if they decide that it's not a private residence and thus needs planning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Sounds like a case for the revenue commissioners if the LL is living there. Once you go over the €14k threshold, all rent received and contributions towards utilities become taxable.

Edit... Sorry, miss read the plot twist comment, thought it was the OP saying the neighbour he spoke to was the landlord. Third party RTB complaint is required.

Advertisement